8/20/2024

The Things Left Behind

Date: 8.20.2224

Location: Surface — Approaching Downtown Houston

The Pip-Boy has become an interesting companion. It does not speak. It does not warn me. It simply presents whatever information has managed to survive. Coordinates. Elevation. Terrain. Fragments from a civilization that believed enough measurements could make the future predictable.

Today it showed me something unusual.

A gap.

According to the map, there should have been a structure where I was standing. A building. A landmark. Something important enough to earn a place in memory. Instead, the display acknowledged only an absence. Not a ruined building. Not an empty lot. Just a place where certainty had ended. That interested me. The machine remembered that something belonged there, but time had erased its identity. Even information has limits.

From the Astrodome, the downtown skyline had remained my point of reference. I never intended to wander. My objective was simple: keep moving toward the city and adjust when reality demanded it. A straight line only exists on paper. The world rarely cooperates with one.

To my west, the ground had collapsed into a crater large enough to erase whatever story once occupied that space. The Pip-Boy recognized the location but offered no explanation. To my east, floodwater had reclaimed entire sections of roadway. Water has never needed permission. Give it enough time, and it quietly renegotiates every boundary people believed was permanent.

The old world built roads.

The new world decides where roads remain.

So I adjusted.

Before moving on, I checked my supplies. Water. Medical equipment. Food. The snacks prepared before leaving Vault 288. Small things. Funny how people overlook small things until they become the difference between continuing and stopping. Civilization itself is built the same way. It rarely collapses all at once. It weakens one unnoticed necessity at a time.

The skyline grew larger as the distance between us disappeared. Office buildings stood hollow. Hotels leaned beneath the weight of years. Windows looked back at me without anyone left behind them. Cities have a way of holding their posture long after their voices are gone.

There is a temptation to stop at every ruin, to search every doorway, to demand that every mystery surrender its answer immediately. I am learning to resist that temptation. Not every question belongs to today. Wisdom is not measured by how much you investigate. Sometimes it is measured by what you deliberately leave alone.

Eventually the road ended where a bridge had collapsed into dark floodwater. Concrete surrendered first. Steel simply followed. There was no crossing, only another reminder that the land always gets the final word. I worked my way around the rubble, and that was when I saw it.

The Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart.

It stood quietly at the corner of Fannin Street and St. Joseph Parkway. The sign remained. Built on this site April 14, 1912. Another marker traced the parish back to the early nineteenth century. I stopped, not because I am Catholic, but because places like this reveal something about humanity. We build houses for ourselves. We build sanctuaries for what we hope will outlive us.

Then something settled over me.

Fannin Street.

I knew that name.



The same road passes beside the Astrodome. Between where I stood now and Vault 288 lay broken highways, flooded ground, collapsed buildings, and craters large enough to erase entire neighborhoods. I had walked through all of it without fully appreciating what that distance represented.

Names survived.

Places did not.

Memory is stubborn.

Geography is not.

The church appeared abandoned. No lights. No movement. No voices. I decided not to enter. Some doors deserve respect before curiosity. Reverence is not limited to religion. Sometimes it is simply recognizing that another story was already unfolding before you arrived.

At first, I believed the silence belonged to the building.

Then I saw the bodies.

They were not scattered without meaning. Some rested near the flooded walkway. Others had fallen where their journey ended. Then there was the pile. Someone had gathered them together. Whether it was an act of mercy, necessity, or something darker, I could not tell.

How long they had been there no longer mattered.

What mattered was what they revealed.

Something happened here.

Something understood this place before I ever could.

That may be one of collapse's hardest lessons. Eventually people stop being witnesses and become evidence. The Vault taught me that records preserve history. The Wasteland is teaching me that absence preserves it just as faithfully. Silence is not the lack of information. Sometimes it is information that has finished speaking.

I did not move closer.

SEEK REDEMPTION. JOIN THE BROTHERHOOD.

Beneath the words was the insignia of the Brotherhood of Steel.

The paint had peeled away in places, but the message endured.

I couldn't tell whether it had been placed there before these people died...

...or because they did.

In the old world, signs pointed people toward destinations.

In the Wasteland, they often point toward decisions.

I made no assumptions.

A symbol tells me who spoke.

It does not tell me why.

That answer belongs to another day.

Not because I was afraid.

Because discipline is knowing the difference between observation and intrusion. Curiosity without restraint has buried many people beneath their own questions.

There will be another day for answers.

Today, the lesson was enough.

The Wasteland speaks.

Not always through voices.

Sometimes through what remains.

Sometimes through what is missing.

Sometimes through what refuses to explain itself.

I marked the location, adjusted my course, and continued forward. I am beginning to understand that surviving this world is not about seeing everything. It is about recognizing what deserves your attention, what deserves your distance, and having the wisdom to know the difference.

— Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment