8/22/2024

The Suck Before the Sunrise

Date: 8.22.2224
Location: Surface — Former Houston Territory

A few days.

That is all it has been. A few days since Vault 288 closed behind me. A few days since I stepped away from steel walls, controlled air, scheduled meals, and people who knew my name.

The road has been quieter. Not empty. Just quieter. The Vault had a rhythm. The Wasteland has a pulse. There is a difference.

In the Vault, everything moved because someone designed it to move. Out here, everything moves because it has to. I understand that now.

Samson's gourd juice is still with me. I have only taken a few sips. Not because I don't need it.

Because I do. Every time I reach for it, I remember him handing it to me. A simple drink. But it carried something more than water. It carried preparation. It carried thought.

He knew the road would take something from me. He wanted to make sure I had something to give back. That matters.

Lydia gave me medical supplies.

Jillie gave me food, tools, and the advice that sounded almost too simple when she said it.

"Embrace the suck."

At the time, I laughed.

I thought she was just being Jillie.

Direct.

Blunt.

A soldier's answer to a complicated problem.

Now I understand.

The suck is not the enemy.

The suck is the environment.

The condition.

The moment you have to endure before you reach something better.

And right now?

The terrain is the suck.

Everything else is still waiting. The road has been harder than I expected. Not because of distance. Distance is just a number. The body doesn't measure miles. It measures weight. The weight of heat, hunger, thirst and pain. The old world gave us ways to ignore those things. The new world does not.

Out here, every step introduces itself. Every breath has a price. And speaking of breathing... That has been the hardest adjustment. I knew the air would be different. I Expected the smoke and the radiation but knowing something and experiencing it are two different things.

I grew up New Orleans. I know humidity. I know what heavy air feels like. I know what it means when the Gulf reminds you that it is nearby. But this is different. This air feels ancient. Like the planet itself remembers something we don't.

The sky has a color I can't quite describe.


Not darkness.

Not exactly.

Just a haze.

A layer between me and the horizon.

A reminder that the world survived...

but it survived wounded.

The Pip-Boy gives me readings.

Numbers.

Measurements.

Warnings.

Useful information.

But numbers cannot explain what it feels like to take a breath and realize the air itself has history.

The old world fought to control nature.

The new world is negotiating with it.

And nature is not interested in compromise.

Still...

I move.

Because moving is what living things do.

Today I found shelter.

Not much.

Nothing like Vault 288.

Nothing like the homes people built beneath the Astrodome.

This place has been abandoned for years.

Maybe decades.

The roof leaks.

The walls are tired.

The floor has more dust than furniture.

The smell tells stories I probably don't want to know.

Decay.

Old wood.

Old fabric.

Old memories.

Someone lived here.

Someone woke up here.

Someone ate here.

Someone probably looked out the same window and wondered what tomorrow would bring.

Now I'm the one standing here.

That thought stays with me.

The old world left behind millions of empty places.

But empty does not mean meaningless.

A shelter is still a shelter.

A wall is still protection.

A bed is still a place where a person can put their body down and let the world wait.

And tonight...

I have a bed.

It is crusty.

It is uncomfortable.

It has probably seen better centuries.

But it exists.

And that makes it valuable.

There was a time when I would have looked at this place and only seen what was missing.

The damage.

The decay.

The loss.

Now I see something else.

Someone built this.

Someone cut this wood.

Someone placed these walls.

Someone believed tomorrow would arrive.

Maybe they were wrong about what tomorrow looked like.

But they were right that tomorrow would come.

That matters.

The world is full of things that did not survive.

But it is also full of things that did.

Including me.

Tonight, I rest.

Tomorrow morning, I move again.

New Orleans is still ahead.

The road is still long.

The questions are still waiting.

But tonight I have shelter.

Tonight I have supplies.

Tonight I have the memories of people who cared enough to prepare me.

Samson's gourd juice.

Lydia's medicine.

Jillie's words.

Zee's hand in mine.

Vault 288 is behind me.

But it is not gone.

People leave pieces of themselves wherever they love someone.

I carry those pieces forward.

Maybe that is what survival really is.

Not keeping everything.

Not preventing loss.

But carrying what matters into whatever comes next.

Before closing my eyes, I stepped outside one last time.

The stars were different.

Not because they had changed.

Because I had.

For 147 years, I looked at the sky through memory.

Tonight, I looked at it through dust and distance.

It was not the sky I remembered.

But it was still the sky.

The bed is uncomfortable.

The air is heavy.

The world outside is dangerous.

And tomorrow will ask more from me.

But tonight...

I sleep.

Because even a traveler needs a place to stop.

Even a watchman needs a moment of stillness.

Even a seed needs darkness before it reaches for the light.

— Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment