Date: 8.19.2224
Terminal: Residential Quarters
Location: Vault 288 — Houston, Texas
Twelve days.
Twelve days since I opened my eyes beneath the Astrodome and discovered that the world had continued without me.
Twelve days since I learned that 2076 wasn't yesterday.
Twelve days since I learned there was a war.
That New Orleans disappeared from the records.
That the people I knew became questions.
Twelve days since I learned that I had been asleep for nearly a century and a half while other people lived entire lives around me.
And somehow...
twelve days was enough.
Not enough to understand this world.
Not enough to understand what happened to my city.
Not enough to find my family.
But enough to understand something I didn't know when I woke up.
Vault 288 has a heartbeat.
At first, I thought it was the machinery.
The ventilation. The fusion systems. The pumps. The agricultural systems.
The endless hum of a place designed to keep thousands of people alive beneath several thousand tons of earth and steel.
I was wrong.
The heartbeat is the people.
The machines keep the Vault functioning.
The people give it meaning.
I learned that in the library. in the medical bay, in the lower levels. I even learned it sitting across from people who had never seen the sky and somehow still knew what it meant to hope.
And I learned something else.
Vault-Tec built this place to shape people.
The guidebook made that clear.
Food.
Labor.
Education.
Culture.
Movement.
Even memory.
Everything could become a tool for maintaining order.
I read those words and wondered how much of the Vault belonged to Vault-Tec...
and how much belonged to the people who inherited it.
That's what I've spent these twelve days learning.
A system can be designed by one generation and given meaning by another.
A machine can be built for control and still be used for survival.
A tradition can begin as policy and eventually become culture.
And people can inherit a broken world without inheriting the intentions of the people who broke it.
That is what I see when I look around Vault 288 now.
Not a perfect place.
Not an innocent place.
A living place.
And before I leave, I wanted to remember the people who made it one.
Zara "Zee" Porter
Vault engineer.
Twenty-eight years old.That number still bothers me.
Not because she's young.
Because I have to keep remembering that my entire lifetime is ancient history to her.
She knows every pipe in this Vault.
Every circuit.
Every power distribution line.
Every failure point.
She can walk into an engine room and hear something wrong before a terminal tells her there is a problem.
She told me once:
Zee: "Most people only appreciate machines when they're broken."
I laughed.
Big Chief: "That's true everywhere."
She looked at me.
Zee: "Even before the war?"
Big Chief: "Especially before the war."
She understood.
Technology doesn't save people.
People using technology save people.
That's something I had forgotten.
Maybe because I spent so much of my old life around machines that I stopped noticing the people standing beside them.
Zee reminded me.
She has never seen the outside.
That still feels impossible.
She knows everything beneath the ground...
and nothing above it.
One day she told me:
Zee: "I know every pipe, every circuit, every failure point in this place."
She looked toward the ceiling.
Zee: "But I don't know what's above it."
I asked if that bothered her.
She thought about it.
Zee: "It used to."
Then:
Zee: "Everybody is trapped somewhere."
That stayed with me.
Some people are trapped underground.
Some people are trapped in yesterday.
Some people are trapped by what they think tomorrow is supposed to look like.
I spent twelve days thinking I was the only man in this Vault who didn't belong.
Zee showed me otherwise.
She didn't need me to become somebody else.
She simply gave me room to breathe.
Before I leave, she took my hand.
Zee: "I love you."
I didn't have an answer ready.
How could I?
I had been awake twelve days.
She was born almost two centuries after me.
The world that created her was already history when I opened my eyes.
But when she held my hand, none of that mattered.
I spent my old life building things I hoped would outlast me.
And somehow the first thing that made me feel alive again wasn't a machine.
It was a person.
I don't know what happens to us after I leave.
I don't know what the road will do.
I don't know what New Orleans will demand from me.
But I know what she gave me.
A reason to come back.
Samson Reed
Samson was the first man in this Vault who made the outside world feel real.At first, I thought he was a trader. That was the simple answer. It wasn't the whole answer.
Samson is a bridge. Between Vault 288 and the Wasteland. Between the world that ended and the world that continued. He leaves. He comes back. He gets irradiated. He gets checked. He gets quarantined. Then he goes back out again. That's a kind of courage I understand. Not because it's glamorous. Because it isn't.
The Wasteland doesn't care about anybody's résumé. It doesn't care who you were before the bombs. Out there, value has to be demonstrated. Samson taught me that with bottle caps.
I remember looking at them the first time.
Big Chief: "Caps?"
He smiled.
Samson: "Yeah."
He shook the container.
Samson: "Funny thing about civilization. Take away everything people thought mattered, and eventually they start deciding what matters again."
Caps buy food, Medicine. Information ammunition. Sometimes a favor. Sometimes another day.
That's when I understood something.
The Wasteland isn't chaos. Not completely.
It has structure.
Different rules, Different currency. Different dangers.
But the same human need underneath.
Exchange.
Trust.
Value.
Before leaving, I handed Samson six pounds of Brahmin tails.
He looked at the meat.
Then looked at me.
He smiled.
Not because of what I gave him.
Because he understood what I was doing.
I was entering the ledger.
Samson: "I'll see you in the field, Chief."
I nodded.
I think I will.
Lydia Carter
Dr. Lydia Carter.Medic.
Scientist.
Troublemaker.
And apparently the only medical professional in Texas capable of making a man regret asking a perfectly reasonable question.
Lydia was one of the first faces I saw when I woke up.
She could have treated me like a specimen.
A cryogenic anomaly.
A walking research paper.
Instead, she treated me like a person.
That mattered.
Especially after I learned how long people had been monitoring me.
Generations of doctors, Technicians and Researchers.
People who checked my cryostat. Maintained the equipment. Updated the records. Kept the treatment plan alive. They didn't know if I would ever wake up. But somebody kept checking.
Lydia inherited that work from her father.
And then she inherited the responsibility of actually bringing me back.
That's the thing about Lydia. She understands medicine, but she also understands people.
And she has absolutely no respect for my ability to maintain composure around her.
Before I left, she stopped me in the corridor.
Lydia: "When you get out there, don't forget you have somewhere to come back to."
I smiled.
Big Chief: "You saying that as my doctor or as my friend?"
She smiled.
Lydia: "Both."
Then she looked me over.
Slowly.
Deliberately.
I knew that look.
Lydia: "And if you're coming back for Zee..."
She paused.
Then smiled.
Lydia: "...you can come back for me too."
I raised an eyebrow.
Big Chief: "That's your professional recommendation?"
She stepped closer.
Lydia: "No."
A beat.
Lydia: "That's me being generous"
I laughed.
Big Chief: "You really don't know how to behave, do you?"
She looked genuinely offended.
Lydia: "I behave beautifully."
Big Chief: "That's not what I've seen."
She grinned.
Lydia: "You were unconscious for 148 years, Marcel. You don't get to complain because I'm trying to make up for lost time."
I stared at her.
Big Chief: "Oh, wow."
She laughed.
Lydia: "There it is."
"What?"
"That face."
"What face?"
"The one you make when you don't know whether I'm serious."
I shook my head.
Big Chief: "You're trouble."
She leaned against the wall.
Lydia: "And yet you keep coming back."
I had no answer for that.
She smiled.
Then, as casually as somebody discussing medication:
Lydia: "You can pop my cherry anytime."
I stopped walking.
Big Chief: "Oh, WOW."
She burst out laughing.
Lydia: "Relax, Marcel."
Big Chief: "You said that entirely too comfortably."
Lydia: "I'm a doctor. I believe in preventative care."
I stared at her.
She stared back.
Then she smiled that dangerous smile again.
Lydia: "Now go."
I shook my head.
Big Chief: "You are absolutely insane."
Lydia: "And you're alive."
That shut me up.
She had a way of doing that.
Lydia never let me forget that being alive was the first victory.
Everything after that was opportunity.
She told me to come back.
Not because I was a patient.
Not because I was an experiment.
Because somewhere along the way, I had become somebody worth coming back for.
I'll remember that.
And I'll remember Lydia exactly as she is:
bold,
raunchy,
unapologetic,
and somehow still one of the most compassionate people I've met in this new world.
Jillie Clemente
Jillie can make a kitchen feel like a battlefield.Today she had me preparing Brahmin for stew.
Two-headed cattle.
A creature that shouldn't exist.
Yet somehow does.
That might be the best description of the Wasteland I've heard.
Things that should have ended...
continued anyway.
Jillie watched me handle the knife.
Or rather, watched me fail to handle it properly.
Jillie: "You're holding that knife like an engineer."
I looked up.
Big Chief: "I am an engineer."
She laughed.
Jillie: "Exactly."
She corrected my grip.
Jillie: "Out there, knowing how something works won't always save you."
She tapped the knife.
Jillie: "Knowing how to use what you have will."
She's right.
That's another lesson the Vault taught me.
Knowledge matters.
But knowledge without application is just another archive.
Jillie knows that.
Her past surprised me.
Military training.
Houston International Airport.
Lone Star Brotherhood.
Then somehow she ended up feeding people.
That tells me something.
A person is not the worst thing they have survived.
They're what they decide to do afterward.
Before I left, she gave me the kind of advice soldiers give each other.
Jillie: "Embrace the suck."
I laughed.
Big Chief: "That's your wisdom?"
Jillie: "It's gotten people through worse."
Then she looked at me.
Jillie: "Go find your girl."
Big Chief: "Zee?"
She stared at me.
Jillie: "Don't play stupid."
I smiled.
She didn't.
Jillie: "You don't make promises because you know the world doesn't honor them."
That caught me.
Because she understood something I already knew.
I don't promise what I can't control.
The world has taken enough promises from enough people.
So I told her what I could control.
Big Chief: "I'll keep moving forward."
"I'll keep serving."
"And I'll reap what has been planted."
Jillie nodded.
That was enough.
Lillie Jacinto
And then there is Lillie.Overseer.
Keeper of Vault 288.
The woman who welcomed a man from the old world into a place she had spent her entire life believing was home.
I didn't understand her when I arrived.
Maybe I still don't.
But I understand more now.
The Jacinto name is woven through this Vault.
Food.
Agriculture.
Governance.
Tradition.
Survival.
And beneath all of it...
history.
I found records that made me question what this Vault was built to accomplish.
I learned what Vault-Tec intended.
I learned about the systems beneath the systems.
The tiers.
The monitoring.
The experiments.
The social engineering.
The things people were expected to inherit without knowing where they came from.
And I learned something important about Lillie.
She didn't build this machine.
She inherited it.
That doesn't erase responsibility.
But it changes the question.
The question isn't simply:
What did your ancestors do?
The question becomes:
What will you do with what they left you?
I've watched Lillie wrestle with that without always admitting she was wrestling.
She carries the Vault because somebody has to.
She protects people who may never understand what she carries.
She maintains systems she didn't design.
She preserves traditions whose origins aren't always clean.
And she does it while knowing that history has teeth.
I don't envy her.
But I respect her.
Because leadership isn't getting to choose the inheritance.
Leadership is deciding what survives it.
Twelve days.
That's all it took.
Twelve days to wake up.
Twelve days to learn that my city may be gone.
Twelve days to discover that the world ended.
Twelve days to discover it didn't.
Twelve days to learn that Vault-Tec wasn't the savior I remembered.
Twelve days to learn that systems can outlive intentions.
Twelve days to learn that people can inherit those systems and still choose something different.
Twelve days to learn that I was not forgotten.
Somebody kept checking the monitor.
Somebody kept the cryostat running.
Somebody preserved the records.
Somebody maintained the lights.
Somebody grew the food.
Somebody cooked the barbecue.
Somebody kept telling stories.
Somebody fell in love.
Somebody kept living.
That's what Vault 288 taught me.
Survival is not simply remaining alive.
It is carrying something forward.
A memory. A skill. A name. A recipe. A song. A person.
A promise you can actually keep.
Maybe that's what I've been doing without realizing it.
I've been gathering pieces.
The library gave me history.
Sub-Level F gave me perspective.
Samson gave me the Wasteland.
Zee gave me something to return to.
Lydia reminded me that being alive can still be funny.
Jillie reminded me that survival requires hands, not just ideas.
Lillie reminded me that inheritance is not the same thing as destiny.
And New Orleans...
New Orleans remains the question.
The one question I haven't allowed myself to bury.
Tomorrow, I leave Vault 288.
The doors will open.
The rules will change.
The air will be different.
The ground beneath my feet will no longer belong to a controlled system of corridors and terminals.
Out there, nobody will care that I am from 2076.
Nobody will care what I built.
Nobody will care what my name meant before the bombs.
I'll have to earn every step.
Good.
I've spent twelve days learning the rules.
Now I get to test them.
My pack is ready.
The Pip-Boy is charged.
The holotape is secured.
My supplies are packed.
The road is waiting.
And somewhere beyond all of this...
New Orleans is waiting too.
I don't know what I'll find.
But I know this much:
I did not wake up after 148 years to spend the rest of my life standing in a hallway.
The Vault gave me shelter. The people gave me reason. Now I have to give something back.
Tomorrow, I walk out.
I will carry what was given to me.
I will leave what no longer belongs to me.
I will watch.
I will listen.
I will adapt.
And I will keep moving.
Because I have learned something about survival.
You don't preserve the past by standing still inside it.
You preserve it by carrying what matters into whatever comes next.
The road waits.
New Orleans waits.
And Big Chief is packed.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel





No comments:
Post a Comment