Coordinates: Heading North Toward Downtown Houston
When I left the Astrodome, my intention was simple: move east, put distance between myself and Vault 288, and continue toward New Orleans.
That was the plan.
But curiosity has a way of redirecting a man.
I wasn't wandering without purpose. There is a difference between being lost and choosing to observe. A lost man follows whatever catches his attention. A prepared man studies what reveals itself.
My Pip-Boy has been useful, but a map only tells you where something is. It doesn't tell you what it became.
Houston is flat.
At least from what I can see.
The land stretches farther than expected, broken by highways, flooded roads, bayous, and the remains of a city that once held more people than it could comfortably contain. Now it feels almost empty.
Almost.
Because empty and abandoned are not the same thing.
I have learned that quickly.
I chose to move north after realizing the eastern route would not teach me everything I needed to know. The downtown skyline eventually appeared through the haze, a reminder that even after nearly a century and a half, some things still refuse to disappear completely.
The roads tell their own history.
Highways stand like grave markers, cracked concrete stretching into the distance. Dirt trails have replaced streets. Giant craters interrupt paths that once carried thousands of people every day. Bayous have expanded into places where neighborhoods once stood.
Old-world signs still remain.
Nuka-Cola.
Sunset Sarsaparilla.
BlamCo Mac & Cheese.
Fancy Lads Snack Cakes.
Paint peeling. Lights dead. Promises expired.
The strange thing is that I recognize many of these things.
Some still exist inside Vault 288 almost exactly as they did before the war. The Vault preserved pieces of the old world. The surface preserved the consequences.
I passed abandoned factories and collapsed shopping centers before reaching Highway 288.
What used to be a major road is now something closer to a river of mud, debris, and memory.
Crossing it brought me into South Union.
I knew this place.
Not from walking these streets, but from the connections I had before the war. Back then, people communicated through terminals, sharing messages across distances that felt large at the time but seem small now.
South Union showed signs of both survival and loss.
Some homes remained standing.Others were gone completely.
Burned.
Collapsed.
Returned to the earth.
That is what happens when people leave and time moves in.
The land does not hate what we build.
It simply waits.
Eventually, it takes its turn.
I passed a liquor store that looked like it was still operating. Through the window I could see bottles of rum, tequila, vodka, whiskey, and something that smelled strong enough to remove paint.
No electricity.
No visible owner.
No reason for me to enter.
The old world had rules about ownership.
The new world has rules about caution.
I continued moving.
Quick structures lean against old buildings. Tin roofs cover collapsed storefronts. Shanty markets sit beside forgotten shopping districts. Neon signs that once sold comfort now serve as reminders.
The old world sold permanence.
The Wasteland teaches adaptation.
That became even clearer when I started seeing life again.
I expected the first lesson of the Wasteland to come from danger.
Instead, it came from something ordinary.
Cats.
Living.
Walking through a world that had been declared finished.
The world had changed around them.
They adapted anyway.
Walking through a world that should have made them impossible.
That stopped me.
Everyone talks about what radiation destroys.
Nobody talks about what survives.
Somehow these animals adapted. Some were larger than others. Some looked almost untouched.
I don't know why.
But I noticed.
A scientist would want answers.
An engineer would want measurements.
A survivor understands that observation comes before explanation.
I also saw something moving through rubble and dry earth that looked like an armadillo.
Another reminder that the world did not end.
It changed.
Plant life has returned in places people abandoned. Buildings are covered in growth. Roots break through concrete. Nature is not rebuilding the world we lost.
It is creating the world that comes next.
Nature didn't ask permission to continue.
It simply did.
I eventually reached the Brays Bayou Greenway.
Or what remains of it.
The water has changed. Dark. Expanded. Unfamiliar.
The bayou looks less like a planned waterway and more like something that reclaimed its freedom.
I crossed a small bridge expecting dry ground on the other side.
Instead, I walked through nearly three feet of water.
The old world built around the land.
The new world negotiates with it.
I kept moving until I reached what was once Third Ward University.
I remember the merger between Texas Southern University and the University of Houston. A forced union created by the Texas government during the Resource Wars in 2072.
Only two years after the United States Space Administration began the Deep Sleep Project, testing long-term hibernation technology connected to future space exploration.
Humanity was reaching for the stars while struggling to maintain the ground beneath its feet.
There were always contradictions.
There still are.
I expected another ruin.
Instead, I found a community.
Third Ward University has become something different.
Not a campus anymore.
A city within a city.
Buildings maintained.
Spaces repurposed.
People protecting what remains.
I came looking for evidence of what humanity lost.
Instead, I found evidence of what humanity refused to surrender.
I did not approach anyone.
I observed.I was noticed.
That was obvious.
The place was guarded, and that was a good thing.
A civilization that cannot protect itself does not last.
Not every door needs opening on first contact.
Around the university, life continued.
Markets.
Trade.
Conversation.
People creating order where none was guaranteed.
Tin roofs became stalls.
Old signs became markers.
Broken technology became useful again.
Samson told me before I left that trade out here isn't just about goods.
It's about trust.
Or the illusion of it.
From what I saw, he was right.
I saw merchants selling grilled meat that smelled nothing like the barbecue from Vault 288. I saw a man with dreadlocks like mine selling jars of glowing yellow liquid labeled Hubflower Ale.
I wondered if he created it himself.
I saw teenagers selling chemicals that looked like they came directly from a medical office.
I saw a woman dressed like some kind of mystic eating jerky while watching the crowd.
I said nothing.
I kept moving.
Attention is a resource.
Trust is a resource.
A person who announces himself before understanding his surroundings is not brave.
He is careless.
One thing has become clear.
Value did not disappear.
It changed language.
The bottle cap.
The trade agreement.
Humanity still measures worth.
It simply uses different tools.
This place is not dead.
It is reforming.
It is all signal.
I continued north until I reached Highway 288 again.
This time, I did not cross over it.
I went underneath.
For the first time today, I stopped.
The road has given me enough information.
My body is reminding me that even a man carrying history still has limits.
I need to sit down.
I need to rest.
Then I need to continue.
The road does not care who I was before the bombs.
It does not care what I built.
It does not care what I lost.
It only asks one question.
The road does not ask me to forget what I lost.
It only asks whether I am willing to carry it forward.
Today, the answer is yes.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel











No comments:
Post a Comment