10/11/2024

The Last Dance

Date: 10.11.2224
Location: Red Rocket Truck Stop — Lafayette Outskirts

The night had reached the point where even the wasteland seemed tired.

The laughter had slowed.

The stories had quieted.

The last plates had been cleared.

The Dean family had survived another day, and for a moment, the Red Rocket wasn't a fortress on the edge of ruin.

It was a home.

Mabel Dean looked around the room with a satisfied smile.

"Alright now," she said, clapping her hands gently. "That's enough excitement for one night. Time to shut this place down."

Nobody argued.

Even Larry.

That alone was suspicious.

Mabel walked over to the old music player Jean had repaired earlier. She carefully selected one of the old recordings and pressed play.

The room filled with the slow sounds of "Moonglow" by Benny Goodman.

Mabel reached for Jean's hand.

The old ghoul smiled.

Together, they stepped into the center of the room.

No radiation.

No Brotherhood.

No fear.

Just two people who had survived long enough to remember how to live.


I looked around.

Some things didn't need words.

I motioned toward Pinball and Chuck.

"Help me clean up."

Pinball immediately straightened.

"Cleaning protocol activated! This unit enjoys maintaining post-celebration efficiency!"

Chuck laughed.

"You really like this stuff, don't you?"

"Correction. I enjoy everything."

I shook my head.

Some machines were built to work.

Some were built to remind people why working mattered.


Across the room, Clancy watched Larry.

Or rather...

He watched Lauren.

Because tonight Larry wasn't acting like the Swindler.

The dress.

The confidence.

The ridiculous amount of commitment to the performance.

But something about it was different.

There was no angle.

No scheme.

No attempt to gain something.

Larry was simply enjoying being accepted.

And Clancy noticed.

The man who spent years surrounded by soldiers, orders, and suspicion suddenly looked confused.

Almost uncomfortable.

Like he had discovered a feeling he had forgotten existed.

Finally, he approached.

"Larry..."

Larry turned.

"Yes?"

Clancy hesitated.

"Do you mind if..."

Larry tilted his head.

"Mind what?"

Clancy struggled to find the words.

"Can I have this dance?"

Larry smiled.

"You can't dance with Larry."

Clancy blinked.

"Why not?"

"Because tonight, you're dancing with Lauren."

Clancy stared.

"Who's Lauren?"

Larry placed a hand on his chest dramatically.

"Come on, John. Have an imagination."

I looked over from across the room.

"Oh no."

Clancy looked upward.

"Lauren... may I?"

Larry smiled.

"Yes, John."

And they danced.


For once, the pretending wasn't hiding anyone.

Somehow...

it had become the safest way to tell the truth.

Clancy wasn't the hardened soldier carrying years of doctrine and suspicion.

Larry wasn't the liar, always running from his own reputation.

They were just two damaged people standing in the middle of a room that had somehow become safe.

After a while, Clancy spoke quietly.

"I haven't felt like this since Sindy."

Larry's expression changed.

For once, there was no joke, just understanding.

Because maybe Larry knew something about being overlooked.

Maybe he knew what it felt like to be judged before anyone bothered to ask who you were.

"You know," Larry said softly, "maybe everybody deserves a good night once in a while."

Clancy looked at him.

"Maybe."


The music drifted on behind us as Lauren nodded toward the apartment building across the street.

"My room's quieter."

Clancy glanced back toward the Red Rocket.

Jean and Mabel were still dancing.

Pinball was explaining something to Chuck with far more enthusiasm than the subject deserved.

No one paid them any attention.

"Lead the way," Clancy said.


The apartment had seen better years.

The walls carried the stains of damp seasons and old neglect, but someone had cared enough to sweep the floor and hang fresh curtains over the cracked windows.

A lantern cast a warm glow across the room.

Lauren slipped off the heels with a relieved sigh.

"I don't know how women wore those things."

Clancy laughed.

"It was convincing."

Lauren grinned.

"I commit to the role."

The laughter faded into something quieter.

Lauren disappeared behind a folding screen for a moment.

When the screen folded back, the pageant gown was gone.

In its place was a simple satin nightgown, soft and comfortable.

Clancy looked up.

Lauren noticed.

"What?"

He smiled.

"I think..."

He searched for the words.

"...I think this is the most relaxed I've ever seen you."

Lauren sat beside him on the edge of the bed.

"Maybe that's because nobody expects anything from Lauren."

Outside, rainwater dripped from the eaves.

Neither of them spoke for a while.

Finally, Clancy exhaled.

"My whole life..." he continued quietly, "every room had an exit plan."

Lauren listened without interrupting.

"I don't think I've ever really let my guard down."

A gentle smile crossed Lauren's face.

"You don't have to hold it all tonight."

Clancy looked at them.

"You make that sound easy."

"It isn't."

Lauren folded one leg beneath the other.

"I joke because if I don't..."

A small shrug.

"...I'd have to explain everything that ever hurt."

Clancy understood that more than he wanted to admit.

"I like this side of you."

Lauren raised an eyebrow.

"My soft side?"

He nodded.

Lauren leaned a little closer.

"And I like your hard side..."

A playful wink broke the heaviness.

Clancy laughed.

Lauren turned on the radio to a faint music signal

"Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

Their hands found one another almost naturally.

Two weary souls swaying slowly beneath the lantern's light.

For a little while, the wasteland stayed outside.

Clancy rested his forehead gently against Lauren's.

"Thank you."

Lauren answered with a soft kiss.

Quiet.

Gentle.

A promise that, for one evening, neither of them had to carry the whole weight of the world alone.

They continued drifted through the night.


Morning came quietly.

Six hours later, Larry was already awake.

For once, he wasn't planning an escape.

He wasn't inventing a story.

He was making breakfast.

When Clancy woke, he looked different.

Not changed.

Not healed.

But lighter.

Like something heavy had finally been set down.

"Larry..."

Larry looked over.

"Lauren," he corrected with a grin.

Clancy laughed.

"Lauren."

There was a pause.

"Can we keep this between us?"

Larry smiled.

"John, I have kept worse secrets than a good night."

Clancy shook his head.

"I needed that."

Larry nodded.

"Yeah."

And for once, Larry wasn't pretending.

He needed it too.


They returned to Red Rocket later that morning.

Clancy was back in his armor.

Larry was wearing a different outfit.

Mabel opened the door.

"Well, look at you two."

She smiled.

"Clancy. Larry... Lauren."

Larry waved.

"Good morning."

Mabel looked between them.

"So?"

Larry grinned.

"Wonderful evening."

Clancy tried not to smile.

Mabel laughed.

Jean entered from the kitchen.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen."

I looked up.

Then I laughed.

Pinball rotated toward Larry.

"Analysis complete. Something occurred. I cannot quite identify the event, but my sensors indicate a significant emotional shift."

Clancy smirked.

"I've had my pincer in it."

Larry looked at him.

They both laughed.

I shook my head.

"After all this Kumbaya is finished..."

Everyone looked over.

"...can we return to the mission?"

The room laughed again.

But this time, nobody was laughing to hide pain.

They were laughing because they were alive.


Clancy had spent years being trained to suppress everything human.

Larry had spent years pretending he didn't need anyone.

One night did not erase the past.

But it proved something important:

Even damaged machines can be repaired.

Even lost people can find a station.

And sometimes the strangest person in the room is the one who reminds everyone else they are still human.

The Big Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment