Date: 10.10.2224
Location: Red Rocket Truck Stop, Lafayette Outskirts
By the time the sun started lowering over the Coutee, concern had already started replacing patience.
Larry Breaux was gone.
No explanation.
No announcement about scouting ahead.
Just gone.
That alone was enough to put everyone on edge.
Clancy had spent most of the afternoon pretending he wasn't worried.
He cleaned his rifle, checked his ammunition and walked the perimeter twice. Nobody said anything, but everyone noticed.
Eventually, he looked toward the road.
"Six hours."
I looked at him.
"Six hours of what?"
"Of him being gone."
Clancy tightened his jaw.
"I'm not saying I like the man. I'm saying I've seen enough of this world to know when someone disappears, it usually means something."
Jean Dean stood nearby, arms crossed.
"That boy has survived longer than most people who should have survived longer."
He looked toward the horizon.
"Sometimes fools have strange instincts."
Clancy raised an eyebrow.
"You defending him?"
Jean smiled.
"No. I'm observing him."
That was the difference between wisdom and approval.
Then Atom moved.
The bobcat lifted his head from the porch. His ears turned and his body became still.
The entire group noticed, even Pinball.
"Observation: Atom has detected something approaching!"
The cat moved forward slowly.
Then a figure appeared through the orange light.
Larry.
Walking, Carrying bags with a huge smile on his face.
Clancy sighed.
"Of course."
Larry lifted his arms.
"My friends!"
I stared at him. "You were gone all day."
Larry nodded.
"Correct."
"And you came back smiling."
"Also correct."
Pinball tilted his head.
"Suspicion levels increasing."
Larry ignored him.
"Before anyone judges me, allow me to explain."
That sentence alone told us everything.
Larry had a story.
The entire group gathered. The Dean children sat nearby. Chuck leaned against the wall and Atom watched from a distance.
Larry placed the bags down carefully.
"Today, I faced danger."
Clancy muttered.
"You went to the post office."
Larry pointed at him.
"Exactly. A dangerous place."
"You found packages."
"A dangerous package environment."
I shook my head.
"Continue."
Larry cleared his throat.
"I traveled through forgotten streets. I faced uncertainty. I stared into the abyss."
Clancy whispered.
"He stared into a mailbox."
Larry continued.
"And within that darkness, I found hope."
He opened the first bag. Inside were supplies, tools. food and clothing. Items that actually mattered.
For once, Larry had returned with something useful.
Mabel looked at him.
"Sir, you missed breakfast."
Larry lowered his head.
"My apologies, Mrs. Dean. I simply needed some time away."
Then he handed her a package.
She opened it.
Inside was a dress.
Her expression changed immediately.
Not because of the clothing.
Because somebody thought of her.
"Well..."
She looked at Larry.
"You certainly know how to surprise people."
Larry smiled.
"Sometimes people need reminders that they are still people."
Nobody expected that answer.
Not even Larry.
Jean received a pair of boots.
Then a holotape player.
Inside was a collection of old music.
Jean held the device carefully.
A small smile crossed his face.
"You know how long it's been since I've heard music without static?"
Larry shrugged.
"Everybody deserves a song."
Jean looked at him.
"You really are something, Larry Breaux."
Larry smiled.
"I've heard that before."
Then he approached Chuck.
The scavenger looked uncertain.
Larry handed him a duffel bag.
"Figured you could use this."
Chuck opened it. He saw supplies, Basic survival equipment.
Nothing legendary.
Just useful.
Chuck looked at Larry.
"Why?"
Larry shrugged.
"Because you needed it."
For a moment, Chuck didn't know what to say.
The man who had feared ghouls.
The man who had expected the wasteland to take everything.
Was slowly learning that sometimes people gave without wanting something back.
Then Larry turned toward me.
"Chief."
He reached into another bag.
"Found these."
Night vision goggles.
I looked at them.
Then at Larry.
He smiled.
"Useful, right?"
I nodded.
"Very."
I didn't ask how he found them.
I didn't ask how much of the story was real.
Some truths don't need interrogation.
Then Larry opened Pinball's compartment.
Inside he placed cleaning supplies and repair tools.
The robot froze.
Blip...Blip....Blip.
"New maintenance equipment detected."
His voice became almost emotional.
"These are excellent."
Larry smiled.
"Even robots deserve care."
Pinball rotated.
"Statement: Larry Breaux has demonstrated unexpected kindness."
Clancy laughed.
"Don't get used to it."
Then came the final package.
Larry opened it.
Silence.
Inside was a pageant queen costume.
An evening gown.
Heels.
A wig.
Everyone stared.
Larry looked at the items.
Then back at everyone.
"I can explain."
Mabel immediately smiled.
"No need."
Larry looked confused.
She picked up the gown.
"You're trying this on."
Larry froze.
"Excuse me?"
"You heard me."
Jean laughed.
"She has decided."
Larry looked around.
Nobody was helping him.
Not even me.
"Chief?"
I shook my head.
"You brought it back."
Larry sighed.
"Fair enough."
Then came the item that affected Clancy.
Story Time Simon.
The toy sat in his hands.
For the first time all day, Clancy became quiet.
"This..."
He looked at it.
"I had one."
Nobody interrupted.
"In the Enclave."
His voice changed.
"People think childhood means you were protected."
He looked down.
"Sometimes childhood is where they start building the machine."
The room became silent.
"They used toys like this. Educational programs. Stories. Songs."
He pressed the button.
A cheerful voice played.
Clancy stared.
"Except ours weren't always like this."
He looked away.
"They changed the messages."
"Obey your superior."
"You are superior."
"Follow orders."
"Don't question."
His grip tightened.
"We weren't raised to become people."
"We were raised to become tools."
Pinball processed the information.
"Analysis: That sounds delightful."
Clancy looked at him.
"Not like you, Pinball."
"More like Mr. Gutsy units."
"Or Assaultrons."
"Dangerous."
Pinball paused.
"New information stored."
Jean placed the holotape into the player.
Music filled the Red Rocket.
Elvis Presley.
"Return to Sender."
For a moment, nobody was surviving.
Nobody was running.
Nobody was afraid.
They were simply people.
Larry and Mabel disappeared inside.
When they returned, everyone stopped.
Larry walked out dressed like a pageant queen.
Complete with confidence.
Mabel followed, laughing.
Jean smiled.
"Welcome back, ladies."
Clancy looked Larry over.
"I hate to admit this."
Larry raised an eyebrow.
"What?"
"You look good."
Larry froze.
Then smiled.
"Thank you."
Not sarcastic.
Not exaggerated.
A genuine thank you.
Because for once, someone saw him without laughing.
The party continued into the night.
The Dean children played with the train set Larry found.
Pinball told stories.
Jean played music.
Chuck laughed more than he had in days.
Clancy sat quietly, holding Story Time Simon.
Not because he forgot the past.
Because maybe he was finally understanding it.
The wasteland creates monsters.
Sometimes through radiation.
Sometimes through war.
Sometimes through ideas passed down for generations.
But every once in a while, somebody finds something worth rebuilding.
Larry had returned with another story.
Whether every part of it happened exactly as he told it...
I doubt even Larry knows anymore.
Sometimes a man spends so much of his life embellishing the road behind him...
that people forget to notice what he places in their hands.
A reminder.
Even broken people can surprise you.
— The Big Chief Mike Marcel
No comments:
Post a Comment