10/12/2024

Focus Before Dawn

Date: 10.12.2224

Location: Red Rocket Truck Stop & Apartment Across the Street

Dinner came and went.

The laughter lingered a little longer than usual.

Maybe everyone understood the same thing.

The Brotherhood knew where we were now.

The Red Rocket was no longer hidden.

It had become a point on someone else's map.


Later that evening, I found Clancy and Lauren outside beneath the fading glow of the Red Rocket sign.

The night was quiet.

Too quiet.

I folded my arms.

"I don't know what you two have going on..."

They both looked at me.

"...and truthfully, that's your business."

A pause.

"But ours is changing."

"The Brotherhood has our location."

"They know who's here."

"They know we're organized."

"They'll be back."

I looked directly at Lauren.

"I know you've reached the point where you know this family cares about you."

"You belong here."

"You've earned that."

"But belonging also comes with responsibility."

"I'm not telling you how to live your life."

"I'm telling you to stay ready."

"If tomorrow turns ugly..."

"...I need both of you ready for war."

Lauren nodded quietly.

"I understand."

She looked toward Clancy before slowly excusing herself.

"I'll give you two a minute."

She disappeared inside.

Clancy leaned against the porch railing.

"C'mon, Chief..."

"Open up a little."

I smiled.

"My eyes are already open."

"They've been open since I woke up in Vault 288."

I stepped closer.

"But I need you focused."

"You've come too far."

"I've watched you change."

"I'm proud of that."

"So don't lose yourself now."

Clancy nodded.

"I won't."

"I'm just..."

"...enjoying the moment."

I laughed.

"Fair enough."

"But tomorrow..."

I pointed toward the darkness beyond the truck stop.

"...when I see you..."

"...it's game on."

He stood straighter.

"Yes, Chief."


The screen door opened.

Mabel stepped outside carrying an old pre-war camera.

"Oh, before y'all disappear..."

She smiled warmly.

"Let me get a picture."

Lauren stepped back beside Clancy.

They looked at one another.

Then toward the camera.

Click.

"One more."

Click.

"And another."

Click.

Mabel lowered the camera.

"Perfect."

She grinned.

"Thank you, lovebirds."

Pinball floated beside me.

"Chief..."

"I detect compassion deficiency."

I chuckled.

"I have compassion."

"I also have a mission."

Pinball processed that for a moment.

"...Acceptable response."


Clancy lingered.

"Chief..."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Have you ever thought about..."

"...being a husband?"

"...having children?"

"...raising a family?"

For a brief second...

My thoughts weren't in Lafayette.

They weren't in Louisiana.

They weren't even in 2224.

They were back in Vault 288.

Back with Zee.

Her smile.

Her laugh.

Her hand reaching for mine.

I looked toward the stars.

"I have love out there."

"I know that."

"But right now..."

"...love can wait."

"My mission can't."

Clancy nodded slowly.

"I understand."

Then he smiled.

"I'm about thirty percent certain Lauren's going to disagree with that philosophy."

Pinball immediately chimed in.

"I am experiencing uncertainty."

"This is statistically unusual."

Clancy laughed.

"Figures don't always calculate, buddy."

I smiled.

"Good night, Lieutenant."

He saluted.

"Good night, Chief."


Lauren was waiting for him across the street.

The apartment was quiet.

Safe.

For the moment.

Clancy closed the door behind him.

Lauren smiled.

"I heard what you and Marcel talked about."

"He wants what's best for us."

"I know."

She sat beside him.

"I think he also knows this can't last forever."

Clancy nodded.

"Probably."

She took his hand.

"I won't pretend I don't wish for things this world probably can't give us."

"I've imagined a future."

"A home."

"A family."

She smiled sadly.

"Some dreams belong to another world."

"But that doesn't mean tonight isn't real."

Clancy gently squeezed her hand.

"No."

"It is."

They sat together in silence.

Neither trying to solve tomorrow.

Simply grateful for the peace they had today.

Eventually the lights went out.

Outside...

No gunfire.

No explosions.

No Vertibirds.

Just another Louisiana night settling over the swamp.


Morning arrived quietly.

Clancy woke before sunrise.

Breakfast was already cooking.

Mirelurk eggs.

Breakfast sausage.

Fresh coffee.

He placed everything neatly on the kitchen table.

Beside the plate rested a folded note.

Lauren,

I made breakfast.

Enjoy it.

I'll see you back at the Red Rocket.

— John

He quietly slipped out the front door.

A short while later...

Lauren wandered into the kitchen.

Still rubbing sleep from her eyes.

She noticed the plate first.

Then the note.

A smile slowly crossed her face.

She sat down.

Enjoyed every bite.

For just a few minutes...

The wasteland felt very far away.

After breakfast, she carried the dishes to the sink.

Then headed toward the bathroom.

A hot shower.

A deep breath.

One last quiet moment...

Before returning to the mission.

The Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment