Date: 8.20.2224
Location: Walking East
This new light feels less like dawn and more like a witness.
The sky above Vault 288 is cracked open in more ways than one. The Astrodome's roof lies shattered; its steel ribs twisted like the bones of some forgotten giant. Rust has claimed the seats that once carried voices, music, victory, grief, and ordinary afternoons.
At first glance, it looks like destruction.
But destruction is only one chapter.
Ruins are records.
Every broken beam tells me somebody believed tomorrow was worth building. Every collapsed wall reminds me that permanence was always an ambition, never a guarantee. Every abandoned machine tells the same story.
Humanity reached farther than it could maintain.
Time did not conquer these things.
Time simply kept moving.
The upper bunkers that once overlooked the Dome now lie folded into themselves, pressed downward by decades of weather, neglect, and silence. Entropy has patient hands. It doesn't rush. It doesn't celebrate. It simply waits for people to stop tending what they built.
Vault 288 taught me something I couldn't have learned from a terminal.
Systems preserve order.
People preserve systems.
I survived because generation after generation chose to keep checking a monitor.
People restored the man inside it.
That lesson walks beside me now.
The Astrodome is behind me.
Shelter fulfilled its purpose.
Now it releases me.
East of the Dome, the city stretches outward in quiet testimony. Shadows cross broken streets. Radiation-tinted grass grows through cracked pavement. Buildings stand like unfinished sentences, waiting for someone willing to read them without pretending they still say what they once did.
I do not mistake ruins for failure.
They are evidence.
Evidence that people loved.
Worked.
Argued.
Raised families.
Built neighborhoods.
Believed tomorrow would arrive.
Collapse cannot erase those things.
It can only interrupt them.
Observation is now a discipline.
Seeing gathers details.
Understanding gathers meaning.
Distance.
Sound.
Wind.
Tracks.
Silence.
Even absence leaves a pattern.
Every step teaches me that the world is always speaking.
Most people simply stop listening.
Vault 288 showed me that every system carries a philosophy.
The Wasteland is no different.
It has laws.
It has memory.
It has consequences.
It simply writes them across open ground instead of concrete walls.
The road ahead asks something different than the Vault ever did.
Not whether I can survive.
Whether I can remain myself while surviving.
There is a difference.
A man can preserve his life while losing his character.
That is too expensive a bargain.
So I walk.
Not because the road is safe.
Because it is mine.
New Orleans still waits beyond the horizon.
Perhaps as ruins.
Perhaps as renewal.
Perhaps as both.
It doesn't matter.
Home is more than a destination.
It is a duty.
If the streets still stand, I will walk them.
If they have fallen, I will remember them.
If something new has grown there, I will learn it before I judge it.
That is what a watchman does.
He does not mourn so long that he forgets to watch.
He does not fear collapse so much that he refuses to build.
He does not confuse collapse with completion.
A field after harvest looks empty.
Until the next season.
The dead no longer hold the future.
They have already placed it in our hands.
The question was never whether the world would end.
Only what kind of people would remain afterward.
Now it is my turn to decide what deserves planting.
So I shoulder my pack.
I steady my breathing.
I face the road.
And I walk toward what remains.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel



No comments:
Post a Comment