DATE: 8.22.2224
LOCATION: Pasadena Sector — East of Houston
STATUS: Continuing East
I woke up at the Palace Inn at 8:22 in the morning, and the first thing I noticed was the room. It was clean. Not clean in the way Vault 288 was clean, where everything had a purpose and somebody was responsible for maintaining it. This was different. The room looked as though nobody had disturbed it. The bed was made, the furniture was still in place, and nothing appeared abandoned. It looked lived in or at least prepared for someone who might return. There was no sign of life. No footsteps. No voices. No person behind the desk. No movement outside the window. But the television was on.
PLEASE STAND BY
I recognized it immediately. I had seen those words before in Vault 288, but there the meaning was different. The Vault had functioning television. Entertainment. News. Old programming. Something that made the world feel connected to itself. This television wasn't showing anything. Just a message.
PLEASE STAND BY
I stood there looking at it longer than I probably needed to because suddenly I wasn't looking at an old television anymore. I was looking at a question. Do satellites still work? Are there still satellites above us? Is somebody transmitting? Is somebody maintaining the equipment? Or is this simply another machine that survived long enough to keep repeating something nobody remembers starting?
That interested me.
The electricity interested me more.
The television was receiving power, which meant something was supplying it. Someone could live here. Someone could maintain this place. Or perhaps someone had simply left the systems running. Either possibility told me the same thing: the world wasn't as empty as it sometimes appeared. Machines don't maintain themselves forever. Systems don't continue without something feeding them. Somewhere, somehow, something was still keeping this little piece of the old world alive.
Still, I had gotten what I came here for.
Rest.
Nothing more.
There was no reason to remain somewhere simply because it had given me shelter. Shelter has a purpose. Once that purpose is fulfilled, the road calls again. So I packed my things, checked the Pip-Boy, and left the Palace Inn behind.
I took a stroll through Memorial Park hoping to find some good fruit or anything useful before going deeper into Pasadena. The morning was quiet, but I had learned by now that quiet and peaceful were not the same thing. Quiet can be the absence of activity, but it can also be the moment before activity reveals itself. I passed several schools along the way, buildings that had once been filled with children, teachers, bells, arguments, lunchrooms, homework, announcements, and all the small frustrations that people never realize they will someday miss. Now they stood mostly silent. I kept moving.
All quiet.
Then my Pip-Boy chirped.
Once.
Then went silent.
I stopped for a moment and looked at the screen, waiting for it to say something else. Nothing came. No warning. No location. No explanation. Just that single sound disappearing into the morning. I continued toward the collapsed section of the old Beltway, and by then I was nearly outside Houston city limits. The road had narrowed into broken infrastructure and exposed earth, with pieces of the old highway disappearing beneath weeds and debris. I remember thinking how strange it was that something designed to move millions of people could eventually become nothing more than an obstacle in somebody else's path.
Then I saw them.
Raiders.
I wasn't mentally prepared for the encounter, so I did what I have learned to do when the world introduces something I didn't anticipate.
I observed.
Their gear was mismatched, but not randomly. Old combat plates had been riveted onto leather. Pieces of armor had been modified, and repurposed until they looked less like equipment and more like a language. One carried a rifle. Another held a machete etched with names I didn't ask about. The third stood quietly, watching me.
![]() |
They began walking toward me slowly.
One of them called out.
"Who are you?"
I didn't move any closer.
"I'm Mike Marcel. I'm trying to find my way home."
Another looked at me and laughed.
"Home, eh? Where is this home of yours? I've never seen you before."
I looked at them.
"I'll speak on that after you tell me who you are and what's the holdup."
They looked at one another.
Then, almost in unison, they answered.
"We run these parts. From here to Baytown."
I considered that for a second.
"So you're Bay Runners?"
One of them smiled.
"I like the sound of that."
They all laughed.
It was a small thing, but I noticed it. They had names for themselves. They had territory. They had rules. They had humor. Somewhere between the ruins of Houston and the road toward Baytown, these men had created an identity and decided that identity meant something. People like to imagine collapse as the disappearance of civilization, but civilization has never been only buildings and governments. Sometimes it's three men standing beside a broken road deciding who gets to pass.
Then one of them told me that if I wanted to cross, I had to give something up.
A toll.
I almost smiled.
Civilization has a funny way of returning. Change the currency. Change the road. Change the people. Eventually somebody still builds a bridge and asks you to pay for crossing it.
They asked where I was headed.
I told them the truth.
"Home. New Orleans, Louisiana."
That answer always costs more.
They laughed again, but this time it wasn't cruel. It was knowing. One of them looked me over.
"New Orleans is a long way from here. You new around?"
I told them enough.
Not everything.
There is a difference between honesty and exposure.
They gave me warnings instead. Flooded zones where the land never finished drowning. Towns that trade in silence. Signals looping through dead air like something trying to remember itself. Something moving along the old rail lines at night.
Too organized for beasts.
Too quiet for men.That one stayed with me.
Then they asked what I was carrying.
I let that question pass.
Not every question deserves an answer simply because somebody asked it. I reached into my supplies instead and gave them a stimpack, some of the brahmin tails Samson had given me, and one sealed bottle of Jacinto barbecue sauce.
That was enough.
They accepted the payment.
Then something strange happened.
They took off their masks.
They smiled.
And they thanked me.
That was weird.
Not because they were polite. Because underneath all that armor and suspicion were simply people. People who had created a system. People who had established territory. People who had decided what crossing their road was worth. The Wasteland keeps doing this. It strips away the structures we recognize and then quietly rebuilds the same human ideas underneath different names. Trade. Territory. Trust. Risk. Value. Community. The forms change.
The principles remain.
Before they disappeared back into the ruins, the quiet one stopped and looked at me.
"New Orleans ain't gone. But it ain't waiting either."
Then they were gone.
I stood there for a moment listening to the bayou.
That sentence stayed with me because there was something in it I already understood.
New Orleans ain't gone.
But it ain't waiting either.
Maybe that's what home really is.
A place that continues becoming something whether you are there to witness it or not. I cannot walk toward the New Orleans I remember. If I am going to find home, I have to be willing to meet what exists ..not demand that it resemble what I lost.
So, I kept moving.
The road eventually gave way to another stretch of broken infrastructure. What remained of the old highway disappeared beneath debris and overgrowth, and the farther east I went, the less Houston felt like a city and the more it felt like a memory being rewritten in real time. The boundaries that once mattered were becoming difficult to see. Houston. Pasadena. Baytown. Places people once separated with roads and signs and municipal lines. Now the land seemed less interested in those distinctions.
Houston had been a city. Then a ruin. Then a collection of settlements, roads, markets, graves, flooded streets, surviving animals, abandoned buildings, and people trying to decide what came next. The world keeps changing names for itself. Collapse is not a single event. Neither is rebuilding. It is continual.
One thing falls.
Something else occupies the space.
A road disappears.
A trail forms.
A building becomes a shelter.
A school becomes a ruin.
A ruin becomes a landmark.
A stranger becomes a toll collector.
A bottle of barbecue sauce becomes currency.
Nothing stays exactly what it was.
And yet...
something continues.
That's what I keep seeing.
Not the absence of the old world.
The continuation of life after it.
The Vault taught me how people preserve systems. The Brotherhood taught me what happens when systems forget their purpose. The road is teaching me what happens afterward.
People choose.
They adapt.
They remember.
They forget.
They build.
They abandon.
They plant.
They move.
And somewhere inside all of that, humanity keeps finding another way to become itself again.
I don't know what the static along the rail lines means. I don't know who is transmitting. I don't know who maintains that television. I don't know who lives inside the Palace Inn. I don't know what waits beyond the bayous. And I don't know what New Orleans will look like when I finally see it.
I don't need to know yet.
The signal isn't clear.
So I observe.
I conserve.
I adjust.
I move.
The swamp is ahead. Static is somewhere beyond it. Memory is behind me. The road continues east.
I shift my course slightly toward the rising sun.
Roads don't just lead places.
They reveal what you become while trying to arrive.
So, I keep walking.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel





No comments:
Post a Comment