8/20/2024

Thirst and Distance

Date: 8.20.2224
Location: Surface — Liminal Space, Houston, Texas

If you are hearing this, understand something.

The road teaches differently than the Vault.

Vault 288 taught me preparation. It taught me systems. It taught me that behind every machine is a person, and behind every person is a choice. The surface teaches something less comfortable.

It teaches consequence.

Out here, every decision has weight.

Every step.

Every breath.

Every resource.

Today, that lesson came through something simple.

Thirst.

I did not expect something as ordinary as water to become a measure of discipline.

My mind keeps returning to Vault 288. The Red Chamber. The smell of mesquite smoke moving through the corridors. The sound of people gathering around food. The comfort of knowing where the next meal would come from.

Funny how quickly the body remembers safety.

The mind can accept change faster than the flesh.

Out here, every sip matters.

Samson Reed understood that before I did. Before I left, he gave me gourd juice. A small gesture. A simple kindness.

Those are the things people underestimate.

Sometimes survival is not secured by the largest weapon or the strongest armor.

Sometimes it is a person handing you something they could have kept for themselves.

That is how civilizations continue.

Not through monuments.

Through moments.

I have caught myself reaching for that container more than once. Looking at it longer than necessary.

The body wants comfort.

The road demands awareness.

My mouth feels dry.

My throat feels like sand.

Every instinct tells me to drink more.

But instinct alone does not carry someone across a wasteland.

Discipline does.

The old world built itself around abundance.

The new world teaches stewardship.

Use what you have.

Protect what remains.

Understand the difference between needing something and wanting relief from discomfort.

The Pip-Boy estimates nine days to New Orleans.

A simple number.

A simple calculation.

But machines understand distance better than they understand difficulty.

The Pip-Boy knows miles.

It does not know broken roads.

It does not know radiation pockets.

It does not know collapsed bridges, flooded paths, hostile territory, or the decisions waiting between one safe place and another.

A machine measures the road.

A traveler experiences it.

Maybe nine days is accurate.

Maybe it is not.

The number is not my mission.

Movement is.

I continue forward.

Every transmission I send is another marker placed into the unknown. Another record that says someone was here. Someone was watching. Someone was still thinking, still learning, still choosing.

These messages are not just reports.

They are seeds.

Maybe someone finds them.

Maybe someone hears them.

Maybe they become proof that after everything humanity endured, there were still people trying to understand instead of simply destroy.

That matters.

Because people remember the bombs.

They remember October 23rd.

They remember the fire.

The destruction.

The moment the old world ended.

But people forget the quieter endings that followed.

The empty homes.

The silent kitchens.

The unanswered calls.

The names that slowly stopped being spoken.

Collapse was not one event.

Collapse was every morning someone woke up and realized something else was gone.

That is the true weight of the Wasteland.

Not the ruins.

The absence.

The spaces where people used to be.

But the Wasteland has also shown me something else.

Absence is not the same as emptiness.

Today I saw a plant growing through a fracture in the road.

Small.

Unimpressive.

Easy to overlook.

But it was there.

That plant did not know the road was broken.

It did not know the city had fallen.

It did not know someone had declared this place finished.

It only knew there was sunlight.

There was water.

There was a place to grow.

Maybe that is the difference between surviving and living.

Survival asks:

"What was taken from me?"

Life asks:

"What can still be built?"

That is the question I carry now.

Not what the world was.

Not what it failed to become.

What remains.

What can be protected.

What can be planted.

The road does not care about my history.

It does not care what I built before the war.

It does not care about the name I carried.

And that is fair.

The future does not owe anyone recognition.

It only asks what they are willing to contribute.

So I walk.

Not because the road is easy.

Not because I know what waits ahead.

I walk because movement is how a person answers uncertainty.

I walk because New Orleans is still calling.

I walk because something always remains.

And whatever remains...

deserves a witness.

— Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment