First Light Beyond the Vault
Date: 8.20.2224
Location: Surface — Ruins of the Astrodome, Houston, Texas
The Astrodome.
The Eighth Wonder of the World.
Once it gathered people beneath its roof.
Now it is a broken shell open to the sky.
The roof is torn apart. The seats that once carried the roar of crowds sit buried beneath dust and debris. The same walls that once sheltered thousands from Hurricane Kendra now stand exposed to a different kind of storm. Time. War. Radiation.
I haven't seen the sky in 147 years.
I expected the sky to recognize me.
It didn't.
The sky belongs to whoever stands beneath it.
That is as it should be.
Instead, there is only silence.
My Pip-Boy clicks softly against my wrist. Radiation levels are higher than I like. The meter doesn't care about memories. It doesn't care that this place once meant something. It only measures what remains.
And what remains is damaged.
The land stretches out beyond the broken dome. Buildings stand like forgotten graves. Smoke rises in the distance. Small movements catch my eye... people traveling between ruins, carrying what they can, trading what they have.
The world didn't end.
My world ended.
Life kept going.
That may be the hardest lesson I've learned.
I see caravans moving across the horizon. Brahmin pulling supplies. Travelers searching for the next safe place. Children carrying toys from a world they never knew. Everyone moving with the same quiet determination.
Survival.
I understand that now.
The wasteland isn't empty.
It's wounded.
Wounds heal.
Scars remember.
There's a difference.
I sit here a little longer, letting the first sunlight touch my face. For the first time since 2076, there is nothing between me and the sky.
No ceiling.
No vault.
No walls.
Just the world.
New Orleans is still out there somewhere.
I don't know what waits between here and home.
But I know I can't stay sitting in the ruins forever.
The Astrodome once sheltered people from a storm.
Time proved there are storms concrete cannot stop.
Even monuments have their seasons.
Vault 288 returned my life.
It cannot live it for me.
Looking back, I realize the Vault never existed to replace the world.
It existed to outlast a moment in it.
Shelter has a purpose.
So does departure.
Stay too long in either one...
and they become the same prison.
Shelter is meant to prepare your feet...
not become the destination.
So I stand.
I settle the weight of the pack across my shoulders.
I check the Pip-Boy.
I look once toward the broken Dome.
Once toward the hidden Vault beneath it.
Then toward the road.
I don't know how long the journey will be.
Only that standing still will never take me home.
So...
I walk.
— Big Chief


No comments:
Post a Comment