Date: 8.13.2224
Location: Vault 288 — Library Archives
I have spent more time in the archives.
The deeper I dig, the more I realize that history does not disappear. It settles. Layer after layer. A foundation built over another foundation. Names, decisions, promises, mistakes—all buried beneath years of dust until someone decides to look.
I have been tracing the pillars of Vault 288. The people who built it. The families who maintained it. The systems that kept it alive long after the world outside went quiet.
And one name keeps appearing.
Jacinto.
Lillie's family.
At first, I saw it as something simple. A family tradition. A lineage of workers who kept the Vault functioning. The barbecue. The maintenance. The education systems. The records. The things that made this place feel less like a bunker and more like a home.
But the more I read, the more complicated it becomes.
Vault-Tec was never just a company that built shelters.
At least, I'm beginning to suspect it wasn't.
I remember the old world.
I remember the advertisements. The smiling faces. The promises. Safety. Security. A future underground when the surface became uncertain.
That was the image they sold.
But history has a way of revealing what advertisements leave out.
The records I've found don't make Vault-Tec look like the simple savior I remember from those advertisements. There are references to experiments. Hidden agendas. Decisions made by people who seemed to view human lives as numbers on a chart.
I don't have the whole picture yet.
But I have enough to know there is a picture.
The question I keep returning to is not whether Lillie knows.
The question is whether she understands.
Because those are two different things.
Lillie is not Vault-Tec.
Her family is not the people who made those decisions.
But she carries the inheritance of that system.
She maintains a Vault built by people who may have had intentions she never knew. She continues traditions started before she was born. She protects a structure that carries both preservation and secrets.
That is a heavy thing to inherit.
Today, I asked about her family.
She became quiet.
She told me she knows there is a history there. Records. Names. Things she could search if she wanted.
But she refuses.
"I don't know if everything we find is something we can carry," she said.
That answer stayed with me.
There was no fear in her voice.
No denial.
Just acceptance that some doors, once opened, cannot be closed again.
I asked her if she was afraid of what she might find.
She looked at the old library shelves for a long moment.
"I think I'm afraid of finding out that the people I come from were not who I believed they were."
I understood that more than she probably realized.
Everyone has ghosts.
Some are buried in family.
Some are buried in cities.
Some are buried in history.
The difference is whether we choose to uncover them.
I did not push further.
Lillie has a responsibility she did not ask for. She was born into this Vault, into this family, into a legacy created before she ever had a choice.
But responsibility does not disappear because it was inherited.
The past still belongs to whoever carries it.
That is the lesson history keeps teaching me.
And a person can spend their entire life preserving something without ever asking what it cost.
I do not know what Lillie will find if she ever opens those records.
There was one record I couldn't open.
Not corrupted.Not missing.
Restricted.
The authorization belonged to an administrator whose name I recognized.
Jacinto.
I closed the terminal.
I did not tell Lillie.
Not yet.
I continue reading.
Because the truth is rarely found in the loudest voices.
It is found in the spaces between what people preserve, what they forget, and what they are afraid to uncover.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel



No comments:
Post a Comment