8/12/2024

Less Shaken, But I'm Here!

Date: 8.12.2224
Location: Vault 288 — Houston, Texas
Terminal: Library Terminal 11-D

I've been spending more time learning the lay of the land inside these walls.
Four days ago, I woke up thinking I had simply been rescued from a storm.
Now I'm beginning to understand that I wasn't rescued from the world I knew.
I was carried past it. Vault life is its own world. That's becoming clearer to me every day.

There are people here who have never stepped outside. Not once.

The Vault isn't a temporary shelter to them. It's home. Their parents were born here. Their grandparents were born here. For some families, there are generations of people who have lived their entire lives beneath the ground.


The few who have ventured beyond the Vault are different.

Traders, mostly.

People who leave with supplies and come back with stories.


They bring things from the outside, but they also bring pieces of the outside with them. The things they say about the Wasteland don't sound like the world I remember, but every now and then I hear something familiar underneath it.

People still find ways to make tomorrow happen.

That's something.

Their stories paint a world that is both familiar and strange. Scarred, dangerous, and somehow still breathing.

I'll have to see it for myself soon enough.

I'm not sure I'm ready.

But I don't think readiness is going to matter much.


I've met more people here over the last few days.

One family in particular keeps coming up.

The Jacintos.



They're the ones behind the barbecue.

I knew there was something different about that food the first time I tasted it.

It's not just food here.

It's a tradition.

A ritual.

A little piece of something that survived.

The Jacinto's have apparently been keeping that flame alive inside Vault 288 for generations. Smoke and spice in a place made almost entirely of steel.

That's an interesting thing to think about.

A Vault was built to preserve human life.

The Jacinto's seem to have spent generations preserving something else:

a way of living.

I don't know enough about them yet to say much more.

I'll speak on them later.

They're a thread in this place's fabric, and I'm beginning to realize that threads are important.

You don't always see what they're connected to until you start pulling.


Overseer Lillie Jacinto is another matter.

She's a descendant of the pre-War Jacinto's. a family line that stretches back generations before the world went silent. You would expect somebody carrying that kind of history to wear it proudly. Maybe even to romanticize it.

Lillie doesn't.


At least, not from what I've seen.

She carries the name, but she keeps it at arm's length.

Professional.

Controlled.

Sometimes cold.

I'm still trying to decide whether that's indifference or discipline.

Maybe it's both.

She doesn't seem interested in using her family history as a source of comfort.

That's strange to me.

But I respect it.

I've spent the last few days searching through records because I lost my own history.

Lillie grew up surrounded by hers.

And somehow, she still doesn't let it define her.

That's worth noticing.

A person can inherit a name without inheriting the obligation to become the people who carried it before them.

Maybe that's what she's doing.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into her.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm still learning people here.


That's becoming the strange part of Vault 288.

The walls hold a thousand stories.

The longer I'm here, the more I realize this place isn't simply a bunker that happened to survive. It's a civilization in miniature. People have made lives here. They've formed families. They've developed traditions. They've established work. They've created their own understanding of what the world is. They've taken pieces of the old world and made something new out of them.

That's something I understand. Maybe more than I expected to. Because I came from a world that thought it knew exactly what tomorrow would look like. Then the bombs fell. Now I'm sitting underground in a place built to preserve the past, surrounded by people who built an entirely different future. And I'm somewhere between them. But it may be the place I need to be.

I can't pretend the old world is still here.

It isn't.

I've heard enough about the Wasteland to know that whatever I eventually find outside this Vault won't be the New Orleans I remember. .... If New Orleans is still there at all.

That's the part I have to keep reminding myself of.

I am not going back to the world I left.

I'm going forward into whatever survived it.

And maybe that's why I'm less shaken than I was a few days ago.

Not because I understand everything.

I don't.

But I'm starting to understand something about survival.

You don't survive by pretending nothing changed.

You survive by learning what changed.

Then you decide what you're going to carry forward.

That's what I'm doing now.

I'm beginning to feel less like a man who woke up in somebody else's world and beginning to feel like a man who has started learning the terrain. That's progress.

I still have questions.

Plenty of them.

For now, I'm going to keep listening and learning.

I'll play by the Vault's rules. And when the time comes, I'll step outside. The records can tell me what happened. The traders can tell me what it's like. Lillie can tell me what the Vault knows. But none of them can tell me what I will find. That's something I'll have to discover myself. And maybe that's alright.

So for now...

I'm less shaken.

Still confused.

But I'm here.

And being here is enough to keep learning.

Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment