Date: 8/8/2224
Location: Vault 288 — Library Archives
I have spent most of the day in the library.
The Vault seems quieter the deeper I search. The medical bay gave me answers about my body. The terminals gave me pieces of history. But the library… The library holds the ghosts.
Every shelf feels like a conversation that ended too soon.
The books are organized. The files are preserved. The records are maintained. Vault 288 did its job. It protected knowledge.
But knowledge without memory is a strange thing.
You can preserve a song without knowing why people danced to it.
You can preserve a recipe without knowing who sat around the table.
You can preserve a name without knowing who carried it.
"I was there."
I have spent hours searching for New Orleans. Parish records. Evacuation lists. Weather reports. Historical archives. Anything that could tell me if the city survived beyond the records.
Most entries end the same way.
Unknown.
Lost.
Incomplete.
The words are different, but the meaning remains.
Nobody knows.
I was so deep into the archives that I almost didn't notice the footsteps behind me.
Almost.
Vault dwellers walk differently than people from the outside. They are used to enclosed spaces. They move with the rhythm of the walls around them. Quiet. Measured.
I turned and found Overseer Lillie Jacinto standing there, holding a small stack of data files against her chest.
She looked at the terminal screen, then at me.
"I was looking for you," she said.
I looked back at the screen.
"Most people look for me in the medical bay."
She smiled slightly.
"Most people don't spend eight hours searching through damaged historical records."
I looked down at the files in her hands.
"You were curious."
She paused.
"Yes."
That answer told me more than anything else could have.
Lillie wasn't just checking on me.
She was trying to understand me.
A man from a world she only knew through documents.
A person who remembered things her entire generation only knew as history.
She sat beside me, leaving enough distance to be respectful.
For a while, neither of us spoke.
The library hummed around us.
Finally, she asked:
"What was it like?"
I looked at her.
"The old world?"
She nodded.
I leaned back in the chair.
"That depends on what part you're asking about."
She thought for a moment.
"The part you miss."
That question was different.
Not about the war.
Not about the bombs.
Not about history.
About me.
I looked at the terminal screen one more time.
"I miss people."
She waited.
"I miss hearing a city before seeing it. Music coming from somewhere you can't identify. Someone cooking down the street. Arguments between neighbors. Kids running around like they owned the whole block."
I smiled faintly.
"I miss the noise."
Lillie looked down at the floor.
"I don't know that kind of world."
I looked at her.
"No?"
She shook her head.
"My family was born here. My grandparents were born here. Their grandparents too. Vault 288 is the only home we've ever known."
She ran her fingers along the edge of one of the old files.
"They told us stories about the outside. Weather. Rivers. Trees. Food that wasn't measured into portions. But stories are different when nobody remembers them firsthand."
That stayed with me.
Because I understood.
The difference between history and memory is that memory has a heartbeat.
"What did your family do?" I asked.
She smiled.
"Maintenance mostly. My father worked on the ventilation systems. My mother taught in the lower classrooms."
She looked around the library.
"Actually, she loved this place."
Her eyes moved across the shelves.
"She used to say books were proof that people believed tomorrow was worth preparing for."
That sounded like something my own people would have said.
I nodded.
"She was right."
Lillie looked toward the old shelves.
"Do you think people outside still have things like this?"
"Books?"
She shook her head.
"Not just books."
I understood.
Community.
Tradition.
The things that don't fit neatly into a database.
"I don't know," I admitted.
That answer surprised her.
"You don't?"
I smiled.
"I remember the old world, Lillie. That doesn't mean I know the new one."
The room became quiet again.
Then it happened.
The smell.
Barbecue.
Lillie noticed my expression change.
"Are you alright?"
I didn't answer immediately.
For a moment, I wasn't in the Vault.
I was somewhere else.
A summer evening.People gathered outside.
Music playing somewhere nearby.
Someone arguing over whose recipe was better.
Someone laughing.
A table full of food.
Family.
Home.
The kind of memory you don't realize you are carrying until something wakes it up.
"I smelled that before," I said.
Lillie looked confused.
"Smelled what?"
"Barbecue."
She glanced around the library.
“That just might be coming from the Chow Room.”
“Where's that located?”
“Near the Agriculture area, downstairs.”
“I may have to check that out.”
“Not now, though.”
I looked at her.
"Why not?"
She gave me the look of somebody who had already decided I was going to be a problem.
"Because you're supposed to be resting, Mr. Marcel."
I almost laughed.
After 148 years asleep, apparently I'm being told to take it easy.
I'm beginning to suspect the Overseer thinks I am incapable of following simple instructions.
She may be right. But that wasn't the strange part.
The strange part was recognition.
Somewhere beneath the ruins, something familiar still existed.
Or maybe some memories are strong enough to survive on their own.
Lillie watched me carefully.
"Your family?"
I nodded.
"Yeah."
I closed the terminal screen.
"My family."
Something about saying it aloud felt different.
Yesterday, I was searching records for people who might not exist anymore.
Lillie stood and gathered her files.
"Mr. Marcel? ...I hope you find what you're looking for."
I looked around the library at everything the Vault had managed to preserve.
Then I looked at her.
"I hope so too."
She left.
I stayed a little longer.
The world outside is still unknown.
New Orleans is still a question.
My family is still a question.
But I've started to understand something.
A question means there is something you don't know.
It does not mean there is nothing to find.
And for the first time since waking up, I had something more than a question.
I had a direction.
Downstairs.
Chow Room.
Barbecue.
Maybe it's nothing.
Maybe it's hunger.
Maybe it's memory.
Maybe it's something the Vault has been trying to tell me since the moment I woke up.
I don't know yet.
But I know this:
I'm going to find out.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel


No comments:
Post a Comment