8/08/2024

There Was A War....

DATE: 8.8.2224
TIME: 10:14 AM
LOCATION: Vault 288 — Library

I thought I understood what Lillie meant yesterday.

A war.

She said it plainly enough. "There was a war after that."

I heard the words. I didn't understand them.

Not really.

I do now.

I wish I didn't.

I have spent most of the morning in the Vault library, pulling records from terminals and digging through whatever systems still have something left to say.

Weather logs.
Military archives.
Emergency broadcasts.
Historical records.
Old government files.

Anything that might tell me what happened between the last day I remember and the day I opened my eyes again.

The terminals make it strangely easy.

That's the cruel part.

The information is still here.

The world isn't.

I started with August 2076.

Hurricane Kendra.

That was my last real point of reference.

I remember the storm.

The wind.

The rain.

The feeling that the sky itself had turned hostile.

Then Vault 288.

Quarantine.

I thought the hurricane was the disaster I had survived.

It wasn't.

It was the last chapter before the real disaster began.

October 23, 2077.

The date appears again and again.

At first I thought it was an error.

It isn't.

The records call it the Great War.

Some call it the nuclear exchange.

Some simply call it the War.

There are different descriptions depending on which archive I'm reading, but they all eventually arrive at the same conclusion.

The United States and China were still at war.

The Sino-American War had been going on for years.

Resource shortages.

Military escalation.

The records keep naming places I remember seeing on maps.

Places that had once been countries, cities, states.

Then the warnings begin.

09:13 EST.

The Integrated Operational Nuclear Detection System detects multiple missile launches.

Four.

Then more.

DEFCON rises.

The records become increasingly frantic.

At 09:26, the United States orders a retaliatory strike.

At 09:42, nuclear weapons are striking American targets.

After that, the records become harder to read.

Not because the information is missing.

Because there is too much of it.

Cities. Military installations, Industrial centers. Government facilities. Targets across the country.


The names continue until they stop meaning anything.

I keep reading anyway.

New York.

Pennsylvania.

Washington.

The West Coast.

The East Coast.

Places I know.

Places I don't.

And then the phrase that keeps appearing in the weather records:

Nuclear winter.

I stop reading.

I stare at those two words for a long time.

Winter.

We used to complain about winter.

We used to talk about cold fronts and storms.

We used to watch the weather on television and make plans around it.

This isn't that.

The atmosphere itself had been changed.

Fire followed by fallout.

Smoke.

Radiation.

Darkness.

The records describe skies choked with debris and radioactive material. Radstorms became part of the world that followed, violent weather carrying radiation through the atmosphere.



I find one military report describing the first hours after the exchange.

It doesn't read like history.

It reads like someone trying to hold onto a world that was already disappearing.

Communications failed.


Command structures collapsed.

Units lost contact with one another.

Orders stopped coming.

Evacuations became impossible.

People who had spent their entire lives believing there would always be another government office, another military command, another emergency broadcast suddenly found themselves waiting for instructions from people who were already dead.

The United States didn't fall in some grand final battle.

There was no surrender ceremony.

No enemy army marching down Pennsylvania Avenue.

No final speech.


The old world simply lost the ability to keep itself together.

The Great War lasted approximately two hours.

Two hours.

That's all.

A civilization can spend centuries building itself and then disappear inside an afternoon.

I keep thinking about that.

Two hours.

I was asleep.


While cities burned, I was under the ground.

While people ran, I was frozen.

While families searched for shelter, I was already sealed away.

While the world I knew was dying...

I slept.

I don't know whether that makes me fortunate.

Today, it feels like a punishment.


I searched for New Orleans next.

That was harder.

Much harder.

I expected something.

A military report. weather station, a survivor transmission, anything.
Instead, I found fragments. Flood warnings, Storm records. Emergency management notices. Regional military communications. References to Louisiana and to the Gulf. References to flooding. Then silence.

Vault 288's historical files don't give me a confirmed status for New Orleans after the Great War.


Unknown.

That's the word they use.

Unknown.

I hate that word.

A city can be destroyed.

A city can be burned.

A city can be buried.

But unknown means nobody can tell me whether it is dead.

And if nobody can tell me that...

Then nobody can tell me whether it is alive.

I searched for my family.

Marcel...  Nothing

Again... Nothing.

I tried variations, old records, Civilian registries, Emergency relocation lists, Military evacuation records, Nothing I can connect to my family.

No confirmation, no graves, no survivors, no names waiting for me.

Just absence.

And absence is a strange thing.

You can't bury it.

You can't mourn it properly.

You can't even prove it happened.


I keep going back to the weather records.

That may be the worst part.

The bombs didn't end everything.

The world had to keep dying afterward.

Fire.

Radiation.


Flooding.

Disease.

Starvation.

The records describe entire regions becoming wastelands.

People who survived the blasts faced the fallout.

Some died.

Some changed.

Some became what later records call ghouls.

Others disappeared into settlements, bunkers, Vaults, military installations, or places nobody thought to record.

The old world didn't simply vanish.

It broke apart. Piece by piece. Generation by generation.

And somewhere inside that broken world, people kept living.

That's the part I hadn't considered.

Yesterday I was thinking about whether New Orleans survived the bombs.

Now I understand that surviving the bombs wouldn't have been enough.

You had to survive what came afterward.




I found references to something else while searching the military archives.

The Brotherhood of Steel.

The name appears in records much later than 2077, so I initially thought it was some kind of post-war military organization.

Then I found older records concerning a man named Roger Maxson.

A U.S. Army officer.

The records indicate that Maxson and the personnel under his command were stationed at the Mariposa Military Base when the Great War began. Before the bombs fell, Maxson had already declared his unit in secession from the United States after discovering what had been happening at the base. The nuclear exchange cut them off from the outside world.


They survived.

Not America.

Not the government.

Not the chain of command.

They survived.

And eventually they became something else.

The Brotherhood of Steel.

I don't know what that means yet.

But I am beginning to understand something about this world.

People didn't just survive the apocalypse.

They became new things because of it.

New governments.

New religions.

New armies.

New settlements.

New enemies.

New kinds of people.

And somewhere beneath all of that is the world I remember.

Or whatever pieces of it are still breathing.



I closed the terminal for a while.

I needed silence.

That seems strange considering I've spent the last two days surrounded by silence.

But there is a difference between silence and not having an answer.

The library was quiet.

Rows of old books.

Dead terminals.

The same stale air circulating through the Vault.

I sat there thinking about New Orleans.

Not the New Orleans in these records.

My New Orleans.

The streets.

The people.

The music.

The brass.

The smell of food.

The heat.

The arguments.

The laughter.

The things that annoyed me.

The things I took for granted.

Funny how memory works.

When you think something will always be there, you don't bother memorizing it.

You just live it.

I didn't know I was going to lose it.

I didn't know I was going to sleep through its death.

I didn't know that the next time I opened my eyes, I would need a history terminal to tell me whether my own city still existed.

And now I don't even have that.

The records don't know.

Lillie doesn't know.

The Vault doesn't know.

I don't know.

That may be the hardest thing I've written since waking up.



There was a war.

A bad one.

Not the kind of war people tell stories about afterward because somebody won.


There wasn't a winner.

The records make that clear.

America and China destroyed each other.

The world that existed before October 23, 2077 didn't survive October 23.

The Great War ended in hours.

But its consequences kept going.

Decades.

Generations.

Nearly a century and a half.

And I slept through every one of them.

I woke up thinking I had lost a day.

Then I learned I had lost a century.

Now I'm learning that I may have lost a world.

Maybe that's why the BBQ smell bothered me yesterday.

Maybe my mind was trying to remind me that there was once a place where food was more than survival.

Where music wasn't something you found in an old recording.

Where people didn't need historical files to remember what rain felt like.

Where a city could simply be a city.

Where New Orleans was not a question mark.

I don't know if that world is gone.

But I know this:

I cannot mourn something I have not confirmed dead.

So I won't.

Not yet.

I will search. I will listen. I will read every record this Vault has.

I'll learn the names of the places that survived and the places that didn't.

I'll learn what happened to Louisiana.

I'll learn what happened to New Orleans.

And if there are people out there who still remember the city the way I do...

I'll find them.

Maybe they don't know me.

Maybe they don't know my family.

Maybe they don't even remember the name Marcel.

That's alright.

A name can disappear.

A city can disappear.

A generation can disappear.

But domething always leaves a trace.

A song, a recipe. a photograph. Stories told by somebody who heard it from somebody else.

A memory passed down so many times that nobody remembers where it began.

That's a thread.

And I have spent enough of my life following threads to know something about them.

You don't need the whole rope.

You only need something to pull on.

So this is where I begin.

Not with certainty.

Not with answers.

With a question.

Did New Orleans survive?

I don't know.

But somewhere beneath the ashes, beneath the floodwater, beneath the radiation, beneath 148 years of silence...

I believe something remains.

Whatever it is.. 

I'll find it.

The world ended while I slept.

I woke up in the aftermath.

Now I have to find out what survived.

Big Chief Mike Marcel







No comments:

Post a Comment