DATE: 8.21.2224
TIME: 10:44 PM
LOCATION: Pasadena Sector — Memorial Park Vicinity
AUTHOR: Big Chief Mike Marcel
STATUS: Temporary Shelter Acquired
SIGNAL: Broadcasting
The strange thing about the Wasteland isn't always what you find.
Sometimes it's what you don't.
Since leaving downtown Houston, I haven't seen much of anything that wanted to make itself known. I expected danger. A creature. A raider. A warning from the Pip-Boy. Something moving in the distance that would force me to make a decision. Instead, I have mostly found silence.
Not the peaceful kind.
The kind that makes you aware of your own footsteps.
About an hour ago, I passed a cemetery.
That felt appropriate.
A place built specifically to remember the dead is one of the few places in this world where silence still feels like it belongs.
There were no obvious signs that anyone had visited recently. Just stone, names, dates, and the small marks people leave behind when they are trying to convince time that somebody mattered.
Then I saw the name.
John Richardson Harris. 
Digital depiction of John R Harris
Based on the Wikipedia Sketch
John R. Harris.
The founder of Harrisburg.
I stopped.
That name carried more weight than the stone could possibly hold.
A Plague mentioned that his family members are buried here.
Before Houston was Houston, this area was Harrisburg. Harris laid out the town in 1826 near Buffalo and Brays Bayous, building a trading post and establishing a place that would eventually become part of the city I was now walking through.
And the county itself?
Harris County.
Still carrying his name nearly two hundred years later.
The strange part is that John Richardson Harris isn't actually buried here.
He died in New Orleans in 1829 after contracting yellow fever.
What stood before me was a memorial to him.
A cenotaph.
A marker for a man whose body was somewhere else, but whose name remained rooted here.
I found that strangely appropriate.
A man can leave a place and still remain part of it.
A city can disappear and still leave its name behind.
A civilization can collapse and still determine what the next one calls itself.
That's history.
History isn't experienced as history.
It's experienced as Tuesday.
You wake up.
You go to work.
You argue with somebody.
You eat.
You make plans.
You tell somebody you'll see them tomorrow.
Then someday, somebody is standing over your name trying to understand what happened to the world that you thought would still be here.
I kept walking.
The Pip-Boy helps me understand where I am.
It gives me coordinates, elevation, terrain, radiation readings and whatever fragments of the old world survived long enough to be entered into a database.
But it cannot tell me what a place meant.
For that, I have memory.
Before the war, Houston was crowded. I know that because I was here before Hurricane Kendra. I remember the movement. The traffic. The buildings. The people. The sense that the city was always going somewhere even when you weren't.
The Fannin Street Metrorail once carried people between the Astrodome and Downtown.
Thousands of people crossed those same paths every day.
Nobody stopped to appreciate it.
Why would they?
Normal doesn't announce itself while you're living inside it.
You only recognize it after it disappears.
I followed some of those old routes today even though they weren't taking me east as directly as I originally intended.
That was deliberate.
I wanted to see.
What I found was what I have been finding since leaving the Vault: empty buildings, broken windows, flooded sections of road, collapsed structures and the slow return of everything humanity once pushed aside.
The city hasn't vanished completely.
It has been rearranged.
And then there are the cats.
Those have surprised me more than anything.
After the bombs.
After radiation.
After the flooding.
After everything that happened to this place...
cats are still walking around like they own it.
I don't know how they survived.
Maybe adaptation.
Maybe luck.
Maybe they really did have nine lives.
I smiled at that.
There is something strangely comforting about watching an animal walk through the ruins without needing to understand what the ruins mean.
It simply sees somewhere to go.
And it goes.
That may be one of the differences between remembering the old world and living in the new one.
I carry the past with me.
The cat doesn't.
It just keeps moving.
I kept looking for answers to questions I didn't know I was asking.
Instead, I kept finding unfinished stories.
Sometimes you find evidence that something simply continued somewhere else.
That thought followed me east.
I've seen people.
Movement between buildings.
Humanity didn't disappear.
But I haven't met most of it.
Out here, caution isn't paranoia.
It's information.
Fear is easy.
Understanding takes work.
So I watch.
I listen.
I let distance remain distance until there is a reason to close it.
It is discipline.
Near the shipyards and refineries, I found something older than almost everything around it.
A gray stone marker.
Still standing.
TEXAS ARMY CROSSING OF BUFFALO BAYOU
APRIL 19, 1836
I stood there for a while.
A piece of history surrounded by the remains of another piece of history.
Those soldiers crossed this area believing they were moving toward a future.
They didn't know exactly what they were creating.
Neither did the people who built Houston.
Neither did I.
Nobody sees the whole road.
You see the next step.
Then another.
Then, if you're fortunate enough to live long enough, you look behind yourself and realize you've been walking through history the entire time.
Eventually, I reached Pasadena.
The atmosphere changed.
Not empty.
Waiting.
I found a motel.
The sign reads:
PALACE INN.
The name is ambitious.
The building is not.
The paint is faded. The walls are tired. The place looks like it has survived several lifetimes and doesn't particularly care whether it survives another.
But it has four walls.
A roof.A bed.
Before the war, nobody would have called this luxury.
Today, it is.
Funny how quickly humanity can change the definition of comfort.
The Pip-Boy marks my location.
HERE.
Not home.
Just proof.
I made it this far.
That matters.
Tonight, I have shelter.
Tomorrow, I move again.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel
.jpg)




.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment