10/09/2024

THE ROAD BACK

Date: 10.9.2224

Location: Lafayette Returning to Red Rocket


The sun had already climbed past its highest point when we left the post office. Morning was gone. Chuck walked beside us quietly. His bobcat followed close. The animal watched every movement, every weapon, every person. And after a while, even He seemed to understand something Chuck hadn't yet accepted. Nobody here wanted him dead. 

I noticed Chuck kept looking toward the direction we were traveling. Back toward the post office. Fear has a strange way of making people look behind them even when they are walking toward safety.

"You know," I said, "there's something you need to understand before we get there."

Chuck looked over. "Understand what?"

"The difference between a feral ghoul and someone like Jean."

His expression tightened. "I have seen what they do."

"I know."

"No, Chief, I mean I have seen them tear people apart. I have seen them come out of nowhere. I have seen them with those glowing eyes and that hunger. You don't know what it is like when something that used to be a person looks at you like you are nothing but food."

I nodded. "I do know."

He looked surprised.

"We fought them."

I continued.

"But you need to understand something. The ones we fought aren't Jean."

The road became quiet.

"The radiation changed people differently. Some survived with their minds intact. Some didn't. Some lost pieces of themselves slowly until there wasn't enough left to hold onto."

I looked back toward the ruins behind us.

"Being a ghoul doesn't make someone dangerous. Losing themselves does."

Chuck stared at the ground.

"So, you're saying Dean ain't like them?"

"No."

"How you know?"

"Because I have watched him."

I thought about Jean and his family at the Red Rocket.

"A monster doesn't build a home. A monster doesn't worry about feeding strangers. A monster doesn't spend decades protecting something that could have been abandoned."


Chuck was silent. For once, he didn't have a long answer. That told me he was listening.

"I know what you do," I said.

His shoulders dropped. "Do you?"

"You trade chems."

He looked away. "I ain't proud of everything I've done."

"I didn't ask you to be."

That surprised him. "You don't judge me?"

"No."

I looked at him.

"But I do expect you to understand something."

He waited.

"Survival isn't the same thing as living."

Chuck looked at the ground.

The words landed heavier than any accusation.

"Those chems kept you moving. They kept you alive when you had nothing else. But now you have something else."

I pointed down the road.

"A chance."

"Jean can help you."

Chuck laughed quietly.

"You think a ghoul is going to help me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because Jean knows what it means to lose yourself."

I paused.

"And because he knows what it means to keep fighting."


Later, as we crossed the remains of the Lafayette streets, I told Chuck about Dalton.


The boy from Baytown who left home chasing a future.

Chuck listened...no jokes, no sarcasm, just silence.

"That poor kid," Chuck finally said.

"He wasn't just a body."

"No."

"He was somebody."

I nodded.

Chuck looked down.

"World took a lot of people before they even knew what they were gonna become."

"And some of us just keep walking."

"Yes."

That was the truth of the wasteland.

Not everyone survives because they are strong.

Sometimes they survive because the story isn't finished yet.


Larry walked beside Chuck for a while.

Then Chuck stopped.

"Hey."

Larry turned.

"About that egg."

Larry smiled.

"I appreciate it."

Larry shrugged.

"Don't mention it."

Chuck looked confused.

"You... helped me."

Larry looked offended.

"Don't make it weird."

For once, Larry had no scheme attached.

No angle.

No performance.

Just a small act.

A strange thing to see from the Swindler.

But not impossible.

Everyone has a moment where the mask slips.

Even Larry.


Pinball rolled alongside us.


"You could have stayed for pancakes."

Chuck looked at him.

"What?"

"You panicked and departed before breakfast."

Pinball spun.

"Those pancakes were DELICIOUS!"

Chuck blinked.

"How do you know?"

"I study and interpret the things I observe."

Pinball paused.

"Based on Larry's satisfaction, Clancy's silence, Jean Dean's consumption rate, and overall breakfast behavior..."

A small beep.

"I am 30% certain everyone was pleased."

Clancy stopped walking.

"Why are you using my thing?"

Pinball rotated.

"Because your percentage system provides measurable confidence."

Larry laughed.

"He's got you figured out, Lieutenant."

Clancy shook his head.

"That robot is becoming a problem."

"No," I said.

"He's becoming family."



The Red Rocket came into view.

Chuck stopped walking.

Atom stopped with him.

The fear returned.

Not because of danger.

Because of uncertainty.

A person can survive anything.

Sometimes the hardest thing is accepting a place where they don't have to.

Jean Dean stepped outside.

Waiting.

Watching.

Chuck froze.

And this time...

The real test began.

No comments:

Post a Comment