Date: 10.7.2224
Location: Red Rocket Truck Stop, Lafayette Outskirts
The morning settled quietly over the Red Rocket, but the sky refused to.
Brotherhood Vertibirds still drifted overhead, moving in deliberate patterns across Lafayette.
They weren't wandering.
They were searching.
I watched them disappear beyond the rooftops before turning toward the others.
"What brought them here?"
Clancy folded his arms.
"I'd like to know that myself."
I raised my Pip-Boy and studied the map.
"According to the Pip-Boy..."
"...whatever they're interested in is only about forty-five minutes from here."
Pinball's optic flickered.
"B-B-B-But, Sir..."
"...we don't know what's between here and there."
He wasn't wrong.
Maps show destinations.
Terrain reveals consequences.
Clancy looked toward the muddy road leading away from the truck stop.
"I'm about thirty percent certain..."
"...the scavenger ran that way."
Pinball suddenly zipped toward the edge of the road.
"CHUCK!"
"Chuck left footprints!"
He projected a glowing trail across the mud.
"Direction confirmed..."
"South..."
"...south-east."
Larry wandered over carrying a battered hunting rifle.
"Oh..."
"He also left his gun."
He grinned.
"I'm ready for war now."
Jean laughed under his breath.
"You're definitely a trickster, Larry."
I ignored the rifle and focused on the tracks.Then it settled.
The wasteland does not always reward the strongest.
It rewards the ones who pay attention.
The safest path is not always the right path.
The shortest path is not always the smartest path.
Threshold isn't choosing the safest route.
It's choosing the path with the strongest signal.
Chuck survived the night.
Chuck escaped the ferals.
Chuck crossed this ground only hours ago.
His footsteps carried information no map could provide.
I looked at Clancy.
"That's it."
"We follow his trail."
"Not because he knows where we're going..."
"...but because he already proved this stretch of ground can be crossed."
Pinball logged the decision.
"Operational adjustment accepted."
"Following recent human movement."
I turned toward Jean.
"We'll be back before nightfall."
Jean nodded once.
"I'll keep the lantern burning."
The Dean family watched us leave as we stepped beyond the safety of the Red Rocket.
Ahead...
Nothing but footprints disappearing into broken pavement.
The Brotherhood searched the skies.
We searched the ground.
Sometimes the world tells you where to go.
You just have to know how to listen.
Sometimes the shortest distance between two places isn't a straight line.
It's the trail someone else survived long enough to leave behind.
Without another word...
We followed Chuck into the unknown.
The Pip-Boy continued pointing toward its signal somewhere beyond the city.
The footprints, however...
...led somewhere else.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel


No comments:
Post a Comment