Date: 9.30.2224
Location: Underpass — En Route Through Acadiana
Status: Traveling | Observation | Conditional Trust
The rain had passed, but the ground still held onto it.
We found shelter beneath an old overpass where the concrete had cracked but refused to fall. On the other side of the road, something unexpected grew.
Corn.
Rows of it.
Not perfect. Not clean. But alive.
Green stalks pushing through dirt that had survived everything thrown at it.
Larry stared at it longer than I expected.
Then came the story.
They always came with Larry.
"You know, Chief," he said, leaning against a support beam, "people don't appreciate the little miracles anymore. Like this right here. Corn. Real corn. You know how rare that is?"
I looked at him.
"You've been staring at it for five minutes."
He smiled.
"Because it reminds me of a place."
Of course it did.
"Goodnight Inn."
Clancy looked over.
"That sounds familiar."
Larry's smile widened.
"Should."
He took a drink from his bottle and looked out toward the fields.
"Back before I found Titanus, I spent some time there. Strange place. Lot of travelers passing through. Traders. Mercenaries. People running from something."
"Like you?" I asked.
Larry ignored that.
"Anyway, I met someone there. A real Texas treat."
Pinball rotated slightly.
"Statement appears designed to create curiosity."
Larry pointed at him.
"See? Even the toaster gets it."
"Correction. I am not a toaster."
"You know what I mean."
Larry continued.
"Sindy."
The name caught Clancy's attention.
Not immediately.
Not dramatically.
Just enough.
A change.
Small.
But I noticed.
Larry didn't.
"Funny thing about life," Larry continued. "You meet people when you're at your lowest. Sometimes they give you a reason to keep going."
For once, it almost sounded sincere.
Almost.
"She was working at the Longhorn Lounge. Place had a reputation. Entertainment, drinks, travelers coming through. She knew how to make people feel welcome."
Clancy became quiet.
Too quiet.
"I knew someone like that."
Larry looked over.
"You did?"
Clancy nodded.
"Sindy."
The world seemed to pause.
Larry slowly lowered his drink.
Clancy looked toward the cornfield.
"When I first left the Enclave, I didn't know what I was anymore."
His voice changed.
Less soldier.
More man.
"I had been taught that everything outside those walls was chaos. That everyone outside was dangerous."
He looked down.
"Then I met her."
The memory was almost painful.
"Longhorn Lounge. On stage. She was different."
Larry stayed silent.
For once.
"She wasn't just beautiful," Clancy continued. "She was confident. She walked like she belonged anywhere she stood."
A faint smile crossed his face.
"She danced. She laughed. She made me feel like I wasn't some broken thing that escaped from a machine."
The wind moved through the corn.
"She made me feel alive."
Then the smile disappeared.
"Until the day I came back from a scavenging run."
His jaw tightened.
"I heard voices."
A pause.
"From a room."
Nobody spoke.
"I knew."
Clancy looked away.
"That was the day I left."
Larry took another drink.
A long one.
No jokes.
No stories.
I noticed.
Larry knew.
Not everything.
But enough.
Clancy reached into his coat and pulled out a photograph.
Old.
Folded.
Carefully protected.
He held it out.
"This is her."
Larry looked.
The color left his face.
"That's her."
Clancy looked up.
"You know her?"
Larry didn't answer fast enough.
That was the answer.
I looked between them.
No words were needed.
Two men.
Two memories.
One person.
And one very uncomfortable coincidence.
Clancy stood.
"How?"
Larry shifted.
"Look, I didn't know."
"Didn't know what?"
"That she was connected to you."
Clancy stared.
The anger came quickly.
Seven years of hurt compressed into a single moment.
Larry started explaining.
Too much.
Too fast.
"I was running low on caps. Had a trade deal go bad. Some scavengers were after me. I ended up at the Goodnight Inn. Sindy helped me out. Offered me a room."
Clancy's expression hardened.
"And?"
Larry shrugged.
"One thing led to another."
"Do you feel proud of yourself?"
Larry laughed.
But there was fear underneath it.
"I didn't know."
Clancy looked away.
"You don't owe me anything."
That somehow made it worse.
Because Larry expected anger.
Not disappointment.
I stepped between them.
"Enough."
Both looked at me.
"Larry, you have a habit."
He frowned.
"What?"
"You survive by attaching yourself to other people's strengths."
Silence.
"You tell stories about the battles you survived but rarely mention who carried you through them."
Larry opened his mouth.
I continued.
"You talk about farming. Defense. Trading. Preparation."
I looked at him.
"But when the moment comes, you become a spectator."
Pinball gave a small beep.
"Observation: statement accuracy appears high."
Larry sighed.
"Not you too."
"You are useful," I said.
He looked surprised.
"But not because of the stories you tell."
The wind moved again.
"Larry, you turn tragedy into currency. Every scar becomes a sales pitch. Every hardship becomes a reason someone should trust you."
His smile faded.
"That's how I survive."
"No."
I looked at him.
"That's how you avoid surviving alone."
Nobody answered.
Clancy looked at the picture again.
"Sindy was different."
I nodded.
"I met her too."
Clancy looked surprised.
"She offered me a place to stay."
A pause.
"I refused."
Larry looked confused.
"Why?"
I looked toward the road.
"Because I understood what kind of place the Longhorn Lounge was."
I remembered the sign.
The reputation.
The entertainment.
"The boys were bottomless. The girls were topless."
Pinball processed.
"Historical establishment summary detected."
"Pinball."
"Yes, Chief."
Silence.
I looked back at Clancy.
"She wasn't pretending to be something she wasn't."
Clancy lowered the photograph.
"I know."
"And you weren't wrong for caring about her."
That mattered.
Because Clancy's pain wasn't about what Sindy was.
It was about what he believed he lost.
The road eventually calls everyone forward.
Some people leave places.
Some people leave pieces of themselves behind.
Larry packed his things.
Clancy folded the picture carefully.
And the corn kept growing.
Quietly.
Without needing anyone's approval.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel






No comments:
Post a Comment