9/15/2024

THE BRIDGE BETWEEN

Date: 9.15.2224

Location: Elevated Interstate Crossing | Texas–Louisiana Corridor

The highway rises out of the marsh like it forgot the world ended.

Concrete disappears into a wall of morning mist, the far side swallowed whole. Rust stains every support column. Guardrails sag where collisions ended long before I was born. The bridge doesn't invite you across.

It measures you.

Water stretches beneath it, dark and slow, reflecting nothing. Wind whistles through exposed steel, turning the whole structure into an instrument. Every beam groans. Every cable answers.

My Pip-Boy chirps.

STRUCTURAL INSTABILITY DETECTED.

I almost laugh.

Tell me something I don't know.

I tighten Barley's rifle across my shoulder and check the straps on my satchel one more time.

The rifle isn't just protection anymore.

It's responsibility.

Inside my pack are journals, maps, holotapes, photographs, supplies... pieces of people who trusted me to keep moving. Things that cannot swim.

If I lose my footing here, I lose more than equipment.

I lose testimony.

The bridge doesn't care why I'm crossing.

It doesn't care that I left Vault 288.

It doesn't care about New Orleans.

Steel doesn't reward good intentions.

It responds to balance.

So I study it.

Cracks running across the concrete.

Sections where floodwater has eaten away the foundation.

Loose panels shifting with the wind.

Every weakness leaves a pattern.

Every pattern offers a way through.

That's the difference between panic and perception.

One asks, "What if I fall?"

The other asks, "Where can I stand?"

Beyond this bridge lies Louisiana.

Not New Orleans

Not yet.

But the soil that is closer to home. 

The man who stepped out of Vault 288 believed the journey was measured in miles.

The man standing here knows it's measured in crossings.

Some bridges carry your body.

Others carry your identity.

This one asks for both.

I place one hand against the weathered guardrail.

Cold.

Solid enough.

I take one last breath of Texas air.

Then I shift my weight forward.

Purpose survives where impulse fails.

And faith isn't closing your eyes.

It's choosing your next step after you've seen exactly how far you could fall.

Big Chief Mike Marcel

No comments:

Post a Comment