9/14/2024

Carbonation

Date: 9.14.2224
Location: Departing Red Rocket Waystation, East Texas

I didn’t drink the soda right away.

I left the bottle sitting on the counter overnight, cap loosened just enough to hear that faint hiss escape. Not decay. Not pressure breaking. Patience.

Carbonation waits.

Funny thing about pressure—it reveals what was already there.

Maybe that’s what this place has been doing to me.

The Red Rocket. The supplies. The symbol on the truck. The bottle of Big Chief Soda sitting untouched after centuries.

But also Lance.

I keep thinking about him.

Or maybe I should say her.

I spent too much time trying to place Lance into a category I understood. Survivor. Trader. Performer. Stranger. Friend. I was looking for the right label because labels make things easier to carry.

But people aren’t bottles.

They don’t always come with instructions.

Lance wasn’t pretending when she stepped into that outfit. She wasn’t hiding behind it. That was the part I missed.

She was revealing something.

The wasteland takes so much from people. Names. Homes. Families. Histories. Sometimes all someone has left is the courage to say, “This is who I am.”

Maybe Lance wasn’t becoming someone else.

Maybe she was finally letting herself be seen.

Not Zee.

Not Nora.

Not anyone I had known before.

Just Lance.

A woman who survived by turning expression into armor, confidence into currency, and kindness into something worth protecting.

I thought about the way she laughed. The way she offered me a place to rest. The way she accepted my answer without anger when I chose the road instead.

There was no transaction.

No demand.

Just a person offering another person a moment of humanity.

The wasteland is full of people who have lost pieces of themselves.

Lance reminded me some people survive by finding theirs.

Morning light entered through the cracked windows, painting the Red Rocket gold and rust. I packed slowly. Carefully. Every movement felt like an inventory—not just of supplies, but of lessons.

Before leaving, I checked the back lot again.

That’s when I found it.

The symbol.

Painted onto the side of the military truck.

Faded red.

A broken crown shape divided into three points.

Big Chief.

Not Vault-Tec.

Not Brotherhood.

Not Enclave.

Mine.

My inheritance.

A reminder that something built in New Orleans survived centuries of storms, prejudice, collapse, and silence. A brand born from stubbornness. A promise wrapped in sugar and color.

My great-grandfather Ray Marcel didn’t just make soda.

He made proof.

Proof that people could build something beautiful even when the world told them they weren’t supposed to.

And standing there, looking at that symbol, I realized something.

The Red Rocket wasn’t just stocked.

The soda wasn’t just forgotten.

The supplies weren’t just leftovers.

Someone remembered.

Someone understood that survival isn’t only about bullets, food, and shelter.

Sometimes survival is a recipe.

A song.

A name.

A person brave enough to walk through the world as themselves.

I placed the bottle back where I found it.

Not because it didn’t matter.

Because it mattered too much.

Some things aren’t meant to be consumed.

Some things are meant to remind you why you keep walking.

I stepped onto the road with my Pip-Boy humming beside me.

The line behind me feels clearer now.

The Vault.

Samson.

The Legion.

Nora.

Lance.

Every person I’ve met carried something the world tried to take from them.

Some carried medicine.

Some carried memory.

Some carried light.

Some carried themselves.

New Orleans is still calling.

But now I understand the signal better.

Legacy doesn’t survive because it stays unchanged.

It survives because someone chooses to carry it forward.

The bottle stayed behind.

The meaning came with me.

— The Big Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment