Date: 8.20.2224
Location: Vault 288 — Houston, Texas
INT. VAULT 288 — RESIDENTIAL CORRIDORS — NIGHT
Sometimes the loudest thing in a vault is the silence between the machines.
I spent most of today alone. Just walking one last time.
I walked past the residential levels. Past the agricultural wing. Past the Chow Room where Jillie could make a kitchen feel like a military installation. Past the engineering corridors where Zee kept an entire civilization breathing through pipes, circuits, fusion systems, and sheer stubbornness. Past Medical. Past the rooms where Lydia Carter had examined me, argued with me, laughed at me, and somehow managed to make a medical examination sound like an invitation to sin. I smiled when I thought about her. That woman is dangerous. Not because she's a doctor, but because she knows exactly what she's saying. And exactly what she's doing.
I kept walking past the places where Samson Reed taught me that the world outside had rules. Different rules, but rules, nonetheless. Caps, Trust, and Information became currency. Everything had value if somebody needed it badly enough.
Then I reached the lower corridors.
Sub-Level F.
The place I had expected to frighten me.
It didn't.
Not anymore.
And beneath all of it, something I hadn't expected to find.
Care.
People had kept me alive. Including generations of doctors, technicians. and researchers. All these people lived entire lives while I remained asleep.
Whatever their reasons...
they kept checking.
And that changed something in me.
Because I came down here expecting to find a reason.
Instead, I found evidence.
Evidence that people had mattered even when nobody was watching.
I kept walking.
And eventually I reached the central corridor.
The place where everything seemed to meet.
The Vault breathed around me.
Seven thousand households moving inside a machine designed long before any of them were born.
And suddenly...
I understood.
Not the Vault.
The people.
Vault-Tec built Vault 288 to shape human beings.
To classify, educate, measure, separate, feed, study and condition them.
They built systems designed to make people predictable.
The guidebook said it plainly.
A stomach that remembers home forgets rebellion.
I remember reading that sentence.
I thought it was about barbecue.
Now I understand it was about something much bigger.
They believed you could control a person by controlling what they remembered.
Food. Faith. Work. Culture. Family. Identity. Routine.
They thought if they could engineer the environment...
they could engineer the human being.
But they were wrong.
Not completely.
That's what makes it dangerous.
But people are not machines.
They introduce variables.
They fall in love.
They make jokes at security checkpoints.
They cook food their ancestors would recognize.
They tell stories.
They keep old music alive.
They pray.
They argue.
They forgive.
They rebel.
They build friendships with strangers.
They fall asleep beside somebody they weren't supposed to meet.
They wake up and decide to become something different.
That is what Vault-Tec couldn't measure.
That is what the guidebook couldn't account for.
Choice.
Lillie inherited a machine built by people she never knew.
She didn't create its sins.
But she inherited its responsibilities.
Zee inherited its machinery.
She learned every pipe and circuit without ever seeing the sky above her.
Samson inherited the Wasteland.
He learned a new economy from the ruins of the old one.
Jillie inherited war.
She turned military discipline into food, survival, and service.
Lydia inherited research.
She inherited her father's work and eventually helped wake a man who had been asleep longer than she had been alive.
Marcus inherited a uniform.
Mindy inherited a post.
And somehow Marcus still managed to weaponize his digestive system against it.
I laughed.
Because even that mattered.
A Vault-Tec document would probably classify Marcus as something.
Security personnel.
Behavioral profile.
Compliance metric.
Risk assessment.
But I don't remember him as a category.
I remember him as a man who made me laugh when I was afraid to admit I was afraid.
That's the difference.
The machine records the function.
People remember the person.
And then there was Zee.
A woman who knew every machine beneath this place but had never seen the sky.
She took my hand anyway.
She told me she loved me anyway.
That still amazes me.
Because love is the one thing nobody can put into a maintenance schedule.
Nobody can guarantee what it will become.
And yet...
it happened.
Inside a Vault built to engineer human behavior.
Maybe that's the greatest failure Vault-Tec ever produced.
They built a controlled environment.
Human beings made a life inside it.
They built a laboratory.
People made a home
They built a prison for possibility.
And possibility kept escaping.
I stopped walking.
For the first time, I wasn't looking at Vault 288 as a structure.
I was looking at it as a testimony.
The Vault didn't survive because Vault-Tec was right.
It survived because people kept making decisions.
Generation after generation.
Some good.
Some bad.
Some necessary.
Some unforgivable.
But decisions nonetheless.
That is what history actually is.
Not what a system intended.
What people did with what they inherited.
And suddenly I understood something about myself.
I've spent the last twelve days asking why I woke up.
Why all of these people appeared in my path after 148 years of silence.
I've been looking for something that could prove this was supposed to happen.
But maybe life doesn't always hand you a map. Maybe sometimes it hands you a direction.
And that's enough. Because I don't know what's waiting outside.
I don't know if New Orleans survived.
But I know where I'm going.
Home.
Not because I know what I'll find there.
Because I don't.
That's the point.
I've spent nearly two weeks learning how to live in a world that should have been impossible.
Now I have to trust what I learned.
My pack is ready.
Pip-Boy synchronized.
And everything else I can't fit inside a pack.
I can't carry Vault 288 with me.
But I can carry what it taught me.
The elevator waited at the end of the corridor.
I walked toward it.
Not quickly.
There was no reason to rush.
Some departures deserve to be felt.
When I reached the security gate, Marcus and Mindy were there.
Marcus saw me first.
His grin appeared immediately.
MARCUS:
"Well... look who's finally graduating."
He slapped the control panel.
Hard enough to make the lights flicker.
I smiled.
BIG CHIEF:
"You're going to miss me."
Marcus put a hand over his chest.
MARCUS:
"Chief, I barely knew you."
Mindy looked at him.
MINDY:
"You've been talking about him for three days."
Marcus paused.
MARCUS:
"That's different."
I laughed.
Then Marcus shifted his weight.
A thunderous sound rolled through the corridor.
Silence.
Mindy closed her eyes.
I stared at Marcus.
Marcus stared at me.
Then he slowly raised one finger.
MARCUS:
"Pressure change."
Mindy pinched the bridge of her nose.
MINDY:
"One day."
I laughed harder.
MINDY:
"Just one day, Marcus."
MARCUS:
"I secured the hallway."
That was it.
I couldn't stop laughing.
And standing there, beside that ridiculous man and that exhausted woman, I realized something else.
I was afraid of leaving the first place that had welcomed me after everything I knew was gone.
Vault 288 was never supposed to be my home. But it became the first place I belonged after waking.
And maybe that's why leaving hurt.
Home isn't always where you were born.
Sometimes home is simply the place where somebody remembers your name.
The elevator doors opened.
I stepped into the elevator.The doors began to close
Marcus raised his hand.
MARCUS:
"Don't get yourself killed, Chief!"
Mindy added:
MINDY:
"And come back."
I looked at them.
BIG CHIEF:
"I will."
I didn't promise what I couldn't control.
I promised what I could.
I'll come back.
The doors closed.
The elevator began to rise.
For the first time since I woke up...
I wasn't looking backward.
I was simply going.
Up.
Toward daylight.
Toward uncertainty.
Toward New Orleans.
I don't know what waits beyond that door.
But I know this much:
I was not kept alive for certainty.
I was kept alive for what comes next.
And whatever waits for me out there...
I'll meet it standing.
The Vault taught me how people survive.
Now the Wasteland will teach me what I become.
The elevator climbed.
And somewhere above me...
the sky was waiting.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel
.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment