8/15/2024

The Malfunction

Date: 8.15.2224

Location: Vault 288 — Library Archives
Terminal: 11-D
User: Mike Marcel
Condition: Stable / Memory improving / No acute complications reported


I went looking for the mistake today.

Not the mistake that let the bombs fall.

Mine.

The one that put me inside a cryogenic pod when I was supposed to be going through quarantine.

I've been carrying that question around since I woke up.

For days, I assumed somebody had simply screwed up.

A bad call. A confused evacuation.

One person pushing the wrong button at the wrong time.

That's what I remembered.

Now I know I was right.

Mostly.

The records are here.

That's the strange thing.

Whatever happened, somebody didn't erase the record.

They didn't create some elaborate explanation to make themselves look better.

The record is sitting right here in front of me.

So I started at the beginning.


THE TRANSPORT


I remember being transported to the Houston Astrodome.

I remember the people.

The noise.

The confusion.

The feeling that nobody really knew what was happening, even though everyone kept pretending somebody did.

Looking through the records has helped fill in some of the spaces.

The Astrodome wasn't exactly the calm evacuation center I remember from the emergency broadcasts.

It was closer to a military camp.

People were being processed.

Separated.

Examined.

Directed from one station to another.

Medical personnel moved between groups.

Security personnel tried to maintain order.

People were frightened, exhausted, sick, angry, and confused.

Some were being treated.

Some were being screened.

Some were being moved into quarantine.

Others were being processed for transportation.

The whole place had become a machine.


And I was one more body moving through it.

I remember being walked toward the quarantine area.

That part is clear.

I wasn't wandering around looking for a place to sleep.

I wasn't volunteered for some experiment.

I was being processed for quarantine.

That's important.

Because quarantine was supposed to be temporary.

Cryogenic stasis wasn't.


POD 19B




The next part of my memory comes back in pieces.

People talking.

Equipment.

Someone calling for assistance.

Then a noise.

A warning.

Something mechanical.

I remember being near the pod.

I remember the number.

19B.

And then I remember somebody yelling:

"IT assistance at Pod 19B!"

After that, everything happened quickly.

Someone was trying to access the cryostat controls.

There was scrambling.

People moving.

Someone calling out instructions.

Then I heard:

"Accessing cryostats mode!"

And then—

nothing.

That's the last thing I remember before waking up in 2224.

No dream.

No passage of time.

No darkness that felt like darkness.

Just absence.


I found the incident report.

The person who activated the cryogenic system wasn't a doctor.

That matters.

It wasn't some secret Vault-Tec scientist making a decision about my life.

It was a volunteer assistant affiliated with Texas United Medics, brought in to assist with quarantine operations following Hurricane Kendra.

The record describes the activation as an accidental cryogenic engagement during an equipment-access error.

In plain English:

Somebody hit the wrong thing.

I wasn't supposed to be frozen.

The other evacuees being processed through that quarantine station weren't placed into cryogenic stasis either.

I was the exception.

Not because I was selected.

Not because somebody decided I was special.

Because somebody made a mistake.

For some reason, that almost makes me feel better.

Almost.

Because the next question is harder.

Why didn't anybody wake me up?


The original record shows that the cryostat wasn't simply forgotten.

There was a decompression date.

A thermal decompression schedule.

An intended wake-up.

Except the date is corrupted.

The original information appears to have been damaged during the transition between systems.

The date that remains in the record is:

8.7.2224

The day I woke up.

So somebody, somewhere, eventually made the decision to bring me back.

That wasn't an accident.

That part was deliberate.

And apparently, they had been waiting a long time.


I found another name.

Dr. Lee Carter.


The record says Dr. Carter began researching my case decades after the war.

There is a medical entry dated 2180 in which Dr. Carter formally documented the need for continued research into cryogenesis and post-stasis treatment.

The language is clinical.

Cold, almost.

But the intent behind it wasn't.

The record says that if all conventional recovery methods failed, I was to receive continued observation and specialized treatment following revival.

It also gives instructions about who was responsible for my care.

The strangest part?

The records show that my health had been monitored religiously since 2177.

For decades.

My heart.

My tissue.

My neurological activity.

My cellular condition.

Everything they could monitor without waking me.

Somebody kept checking on me.

One hundred years after the bombs.

Something changed that year.

I don't know what.

But somebody started watching me.

While I slept.

I don't know why yet.

But somebody did.


Then I found the dietary instructions.

I actually laughed.

After all these years, somebody had written down what I was supposed to eat when I woke up.

And apparently, whoever wrote it knew exactly what they were doing.

Spinach.

Purified Water.

Mac and cheese.

Potatoes.

And—

A Sweet Roll

This document was written in 2184 By Dr. Lee Carter

That was the first thing I noticed.

Somebody had updated the treatment plan long after the bombs fell

I stared at that list for a while.

Then I realized something.

That's exactly what they gave me.

Not approximately.

Not something similar.

Exactly what was listed.

Which means somebody actually followed the treatment plan.

For 147 years, somebody maintained a plan for a man who wasn't expected to wake up anytime soon.

That's different from being forgotten.

That's preservation.


Then I found the location of my recovery.

Sub-Level F.

That's where I emerged from.

Not the Medical Center everyone has been taking me to since I woke up.

Not the room I've been staying in.

Not Sector C.

Sub-Level F.

The same Sub-Level F I've been reading about.

The same place buried underneath all the other layers of Vault 288.

That got my attention.

I've been living in a room not far from the Wellness Center in Sector C since my revival.

I've walked those halls.

I've started learning the rhythm of this place.

But I woke up somewhere else.

And now I'm wondering what else was down there with me.


STATUS

For the record:

Name: Mike Marcel
Chronological time elapsed since stasis: 148 years
Biological age: [RECORD INCOMPLETE]
Age at stasis: [RECORD INCOMPLETE]
Status: Revived
Condition: Stable
Memory: Improving
Neurological: Responsive
Physical: Ambulatory
Cryogenic complications: Under continued observation
Family: No confirmed Marcel family records located within current Vault archives
Origin: Houston Astrodome evacuation / Hurricane Kendra emergency processing
Original designation: Quarantine
Actual placement: Cryogenic stasis — Pod 19B
Cause: Accidental activation
Revival: 8.7.2224
Long-term monitoring: Confirmed
Recovery location: Sub-Level F
Current residence: Sector C, near Wellness Center

That family line bothers me.

No confirmed Marcel family records.

At least not yet.

I keep coming back to that.

Did my family make it to the Astrodome?

Did they go somewhere else?

Were they processed separately?

Did they survive Kendra?

Did they get into another Vault?

Did they make it to Houston?

I don't know.

And I'm not going to fill that empty space with an answer just because the silence makes me uncomfortable.

I don't know.

That's the honest answer.

For now.


Then I found the photograph.

Lee Carter

Dr. Lee Carter.

I stared at it longer than I should have.

The profile clearly identifies Lee Carter as male.

But the photograph doesn't look like the man I expected to see.

It's strange.

The image looks feminine to my eyes.

Not enough for me to make a judgment.

Enough to make me stop.

The record says Dr. Carter died in 2197, age 56.

That means he was dead before I woke up.

The file lists his surviving family.

Lee and Farah

Farah Carter — wife.

Current age listed as 76.

And:

Dr. Lydia Carter — child.

Current age listed as 36.

I read that twice.

Then I went back to the photograph.

Something wasn't lining up in my head.

And then I realized where I had seen that name before.

Lydia Carter.

Lydia
The medic.

The person who was there when I woke up.

One of the first faces of this future I actually remember.

Her.

The person who looked at me not like I was a specimen, but like I was a man who had just survived something nobody should have survived.

She was there.

With Lillie.

One of the first people I saw in 2224.

And now I'm sitting here looking at a record connecting her to the doctor who spent decades researching my survival.

I don't know what that means.

I'm not going to pretend I do.

Maybe it's simple.

Maybe Lydia followed her father's work.

Maybe that's why she was involved in my revival.

Maybe the medical knowledge was passed down.

Maybe she knows more about me than she's told me.

Or maybe the connection is more complicated.

Dr. Lee Carter — Sex: Male

Dr. Lydia Carter — Sex: Male

I read the second line twice.

That didn't match the person I remembered.

At least, not according to the person I'd met.

I checked the photograph again.

Then the medical records.

Then the personnel file.

Three different records.

Three different pieces of information.

Something in this archive was wrong.

Or incomplete.

I don't know.

And I'm not going to invent an answer because a database made me uncomfortable.

All I know now is, the medic who helped me wake up is apparently the child of the man who spent decades making sure I could be treated when I finally did.

That is too much coincidence for me to ignore.

But not enough evidence for me to call it a conspiracy.

So I won't.

Not yet.


What I do know is this:

I know now that the cryogenic malfunction was real.

I wasn't selected.

I wasn't chosen.

I wasn't some secret Vault-Tec experiment waiting to be activated.

I was supposed to go through quarantine.

Someone made a mistake.

I got frozen.

Then the bombs fell.

That's the simple part.

The complicated part is everything that happened afterward.

Somebody found me.

Somebody preserved me.

Somebody monitored me.

Somebody researched what it would take to bring me back.

Somebody prepared a treatment plan.

Somebody even planned what I would eat when I woke up.

And whoever those people were, they kept doing it for 147 years.

That's the part I can't stop thinking about.

A mistake put me in the pod.

But a century of deliberate decisions kept me alive.

I don't know why.

I don't know who made those decisions.

I don't know what they expected to find when I finally opened my eyes.

And I don't know what Dr. Carter's research has to do with Lydia Carter.

But I know where I woke up.

Sub-Level F.

The same place that keeps appearing whenever I dig too deep into Vault 288's history.

So maybe that's where I need to look next.

Not for an answer.

Not yet.

For a record.

A name.

A reason.

Something that explains why a man who was supposed to spend a few days in quarantine ended up sleeping through the end of the world...

and why somebody, somewhere, spent generations making sure he could wake up.

The mistake explains how I went to sleep.

It doesn't explain why they kept me alive.

So tomorrow, I'm going to Sub-Level F.

Big Chief Mike Marcel


No comments:

Post a Comment