Date: 8.17.2224
Location: Vault 288 — Residential Wing / Main Chow Room
Sleep came differently last night.
Not the hollow kind that follows exhaustion. Not the medicated sleep they've been monitoring since I woke up. This one carried warmth. Peace. The kind of rest you forget the body is capable of until someone reminds it.
When I opened my eyes, Zee was already awake.
Morning light from the artificial skylamps spilled across the room, turning the steel walls into something almost soft. She looked over at me and laughed.
Zee: "Well... look who's finally smiling."
I rubbed my face and shook my head.
Big Chief: "Guess I needed that."
She smiled without saying another word.
Some things don't need explaining.
We wandered down to the main chow room together.
The smell reached us before the room did.
Mesquite smoke.
Coffee.
Fresh biscuits.
Vault 288 has a strange way of making steel feel like home.
Behind the serving counter stood Jillie.
She was built like somebody who'd wrestled death a few times and won. Broad shoulders. Scar across one forearm. Arms moving with practiced confidence as she chopped brisket into neat strips.
She looked mean.
Then she smiled.
Changed her whole face.
Jillie: "Morning, lovers."
Zee laughed before I could answer.
Zee: "Ignore her."
Jillie: "I wasn't talking to you."
She slid two trays toward us.
The woman could intimidate somebody with one hand while serving breakfast with the other.
I liked her immediately.
We sat near one of the windows overlooking the agricultural level.
Artificial sunlight poured over rows of vegetables.
For a while we simply ate.
No questions.
No expectations.
Just quiet.
Then Zee rested her chin in her hand.
Zee: "Tell me about your family."
The question settled deeper than I expected.
I stared down at my coffee.
Names arrived before faces.
Like someone slowly opening old drawers inside my head.
Big Chief: "My brother... Darryl."
I smiled.
Big Chief: "Always wanted to protect somebody. Soldier through and through."
Another memory surfaced.
Big Chief: "Naomi... my sister."
I could almost hear her laugh.
Big Chief: "She was a mother before anything else."
My throat tightened.
Big Chief: "Jalen..."
I stopped for a moment.
"My nephew."
Only ten years old when I last saw him.
Then my mother's face.
Big Chief: "Catherine Marcel."
I looked down into my coffee.
Big Chief: "Beautiful woman."
I let the silence stay there.
Some names deserve room to breathe.
After a while Zee spoke softly.
Zee: "You miss them."
I nodded.
Big Chief: "Every day."
I told her about home.
Not just New Orleans.
The Marcels.
Big Chief: "We ran a family business."
She leaned forward.
Zee: "Really?"
I laughed.
Big Chief: "Started as a soda company."
Her eyes lit up.
Zee: "Wait..."
She pointed at me.
Zee: "Like Nuka-Cola?"
I couldn't help but grin.
Big Chief: "Well... yeah."
I paused.
Big Chief: "Except we weren't trying to become the biggest."
She tilted her head.
So I tried explaining something that's hard to explain.
Big Chief: "A business isn't only the thing it sells."
"It carries people."
"It gives somebody a first job."
"It puts food on tables."
"It becomes part of birthdays."
"Part of neighborhoods."
"Part of memory."
"If all people remember is the bottle... then you missed what the company actually produced."
She sat quietly.
Listening.
Really listening.
Big Chief: "We sold drinks."
"But what we were actually making..."
"...was belonging."
That seemed to stay with her.
Eventually she asked about engineering.
That conversation felt easier.
Like putting old tools back into my hands.
Big Chief: "I worked with the University of Lafayette."
Her eyes widened.
Zee: "Seriously?"
I nodded.
Big Chief: "Advanced Fusion Cores."
"Energy cells."
"Robotics."
"Pip-Boy modifications."
"Optimization work."
I looked around the vault...
Big Chief: "That's the strange part."
She waited.
Big Chief: "I'm surrounded by descendants of things I helped build."
"My work kept growing."
"I didn't."
"I went to sleep..."
"...and woke up inside my own future."
For the first time since waking, I realized why everything felt so familiar.
Not because I'd been here before.
Because pieces of me already had.
Ideas outlive their inventors.
Zee stared at me for a long moment.
Not impressed.
Not intimidated.
Just... proud.
Zee: "You're extraordinary, Mike."
I shook my head.
Big Chief: "I'm just trying to get home."
New Orleans.
I said it quietly.
Like prayer.
Big Chief: "I don't know what happened to my family."
"I don't know who's alive."
"I don't know what's left."
"I just..."
I looked past the windows toward steel that hid the surface.
Big Chief: "...want to go home."
She reached across the table.
Took my hand.
Didn't interrupt.
Didn't offer easy answers.
Just stayed there.
Sometimes presence accomplishes what words never can.
Finally she smiled.
Zee: "You'll find your way."
"And when you do..."
"...remember there are people rooting for you."
We spent the rest of the day together.
Walking maintenance corridors.
Looking over hydroponic gardens.
Talking about engineering.
History.
Food.
Music.
The old world.
The new one.
Somewhere between conversations, something quiet took root.
Not certainty.
Not permanence.
Just trust.
Sometimes that's how important things begin.
Not with fireworks.
With steady footsteps.
That evening she walked me toward my quarters.
We stopped outside the door.
Neither of us wanted to be the first to leave.
Finally she squeezed my hand.
Zee: "The world outside is different."
"It doesn't care who you used to be."
"Please..."
"...be careful."
She hesitated.
Then smiled.
Zee: "I love you."
The words landed heavier than she probably realized.
Love.
A simple word.
But suddenly it meant my mother.
My brother.
Naomi.
Jalen.
New Orleans.
Everything I'd lost.
Everything I was still walking toward.
I watched Zee disappear down the hallway.
For the first time since awakening...
...Vault 288 didn't feel like a prison.
It felt like a place someone had cared enough to leave light on.
Tomorrow, I'll keep learning.
Soon...
I'll step outside.
But tonight, I remember that survival isn't only measured by food, ammunition, or shelter.
Sometimes it's measured by the people who remind you that your story didn't end when the world did.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel

.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment