8/24/2024

Trading: Tails for Tales


DATE:
8.29.2224
LOCATION: Baytown Texas
STATUS: Continuing East
SIGNAL: Active
RADIATION: Elevated

I moved north, keeping the horizon open and my boots on cracked asphalt. The streets grew quieter as I left the heavier ruins behind. Wind scratched at rusted signs. Red dirt swallowed footprints. Brahmin wandered through the distance, two heads moving together like some leftover memory of an industry that refused to die. They watched me as I passed.

I was still looking for a hospital.

The Pip-Boy had given me fragments. A few old medical locations. Scrambled coordinates. Emergency facilities that might still exist or might have been nothing more than names on a dead map.

My shoulder was healing, but not cleanly. The deeper wounds were better than they had been, but better wasn't the same as healed. If there was a functioning medical facility anywhere along this route, I wanted to find it before the road decided otherwise.

I followed the strongest signal north.

That's how I found her.

Nora Sterling.

She called herself a medic.

Her shop was half-collapsed, sun-bleached, and smelled like old mercy. The shelves bowed beneath dust. Bottles had faded. Bandages were beginning to rot at the edges. But the things that remained were clean enough to trust.

I asked about the hospital.

She shook her head.

“It's ruined. Not safe. Follow me if you need supplies.”

So I followed.

She lived beneath the pharmacy in a bunker. Alone. Guarding what had survived.

She spoke like she had the map of the world stored somewhere behind her eyes.

Then I told her I was from Vault 288.

She stopped.

Her eyes widened like I'd stepped out of a memory she thought she'd buried.

She had been born in 288.

She left years before I ever woke up.

Curiosity, she said, beat comfort.

She wanted to see the world.

The world had given both of us scars for the privilege.

We shared food and traded. Three clean Brahmin tails from Samson's stock bought me a medkit that could keep me moving another week.

Simple exchange.

No promises.

No debt.

Then she told me something I wasn't ready for.

“They burn the dead.”

I stopped eating.

“What dead?”

“All of 'em. People. Brahmin. Meat gone cold. They cremate it. Harvest the acid. Fuel the cores.”

For a moment, I didn't know what to say.

Fusion cores.

I knew those.

I helped design them.

They were supposed to run cities. Homes. Hospitals. Machines. The things people built because they believed tomorrow was worth powering.

Not this.

Not the dead.

Not my ancestors reduced to another resource.

But the world doesn't preserve intentions.

It preserves what still works.

And apparently, this worked.

Dirty power.

Human-fed power.

Power that could be sold to whoever had the caps.

Raiders.

Enclave.

Brotherhood.


No questions once the transaction was made.

Nora had left because of it.

“Didn't want to watch my mother turn into voltage.”

That sentence stayed with me.

Then I learned she was working with the Brotherhood.

A pact.

Protection for loyalty.

Medicine for obedience.

I looked at her.

“You flee one machine, only to serve another.”

She didn't argue.

She was tired.

“At least I choose the terms.”

I understood that answer more than I wanted to.

Choice doesn't always mean freedom.

Sometimes it means deciding which chain you can live with.

I stayed the night.

Warm bed.

Clean water.

Soap.

Another Ho-Bath.

For a few hours, the world almost remembered how to be ordinary.

But the hospital was still out there somewhere.

Ruined or not, the Pip-Boy had given me a direction.

North.

Nora had given me something else.

Information.

I checked the medkit.

Packed my things.

Made sure the armor was secure.

Then I looked east.

New Orleans was still out there.

The hospital was north.

Home was east.

I could chase one without forgetting the other.

The road hadn't changed its direction just because I had learned something ugly about it.

Neither had I.

The road doesn't forgive.

It doesn't judge.

It records.

I keep walking.

The way home is long.

But I ain't lost.

Big Chief


No comments:

Post a Comment