9/09/2024

Signal Drift: Toward the Green

Date: 9.9.2224

Location: North-Northeast of Beaumont | Edge of Floodplain

I didn't stay.

Something about the GoodNight Inn settled strangely in my spirit. Too clean. Too quiet. Like a place that had learned how to appear safe instead of becoming it.

Lance was courteous enough. Deep voice. Calm handshake. Confident. He wore a floral dress and heels with the kind of ease that told me he wasn't performing for anyone. Out here, survival has a way of stripping away appearances until only the person remains. Whether he was simply being kind or trying to read me, I couldn't tell.

Either way, I thanked him and kept moving.





The road pulled me north at first, but the signal pulled east-northeast. Not louder. Clearer. Like tuning an old radio until the static finally gives way.

The land changed with it.

The air grew heavier. Humidity wrapped itself around my lungs until every breath felt borrowed. Sweat clung to my skin. Nothing dried.

Then came the insects.

Bigger than anything I'd seen since leaving Vault 288. Their wings buzzed low through the reeds, bodies plated like armor, hovering longer than insects should. Watching. Waiting.

Green replaced brown.

Grass rose higher. Vines swallowed concrete. Water spread across forgotten roads as the swamp reclaimed what the old world insisted belonged to people.

My Pip-Boy crackled.

Static.

Then...

"We... are... the Atomites..."

The transmission dissolved into interference before returning.

"...Join us... in His honor..."

Silence.

Then one final sentence, sharp enough to make me stop walking.

"FEEL THE FIRE."

I stood still.

It wasn't just a broadcast.

It had cadence.

Like a hymn.

Like someone wanted those words remembered.

I caught myself whispering,

"These sound like songs..."

But songs don't grow stronger the closer you get.

Signals don't keep calling unless someone is still listening.

I looked ahead.

Something moved between the cypress trees.

Not wandering.

Waiting.

I lowered my center of gravity without thinking.

Whatever waited beyond that tree line...

had already seen me.

— Big Chief Mike Marcel






No comments:

Post a Comment