Location: Westlake, Louisiana

Westlake was quieter than the towns before it.
The roads dipped beneath cracked asphalt and overgrown gutters. Houses leaned against time, their walls carrying the weight of storms, neglect, and years without voices. The wind moved through abandoned yards where children once played, pushing old swings back and forth like the town was remembering something it couldn’t reach anymore.
That was when I heard it.
Not the careless noise of scavengers.
Not the chaos of raiders.
A deliberate step.
Someone who knew how to be quiet.
I stopped.
Hand near the rifle.
Eyes searching.
Then he stepped out.
At first glance, I thought I was looking at Samson Reed.
But something was different.
Not the same presence.
Not the same connection.
This was one of the Legion.
Carrying the shape of a man who had changed everything.
He looked at me for a moment.
Then spoke.
Samson:
"Mr. Marcel."
I froze.
I never gave him my name.
Me:
"How do you know who I am?"
The synthetic man tilted his head slightly.
Samson:
"I was informed you were traveling toward New Orleans."
I stared at him.
Me:
"By who?"
A pause.
Not a malfunction.
A choice.
Samson:
"You know, Mr. Marcel. We network."
That word stayed with me.
Network.
Not control.
Not command.
Connection.
He explained that Samson Reed’s signal moved through them like a repeater system. Not all of them carried the same level of connection. Some were closer to him. Some were more independent.
This one was different.
Older.
One of the first.
Me:
"You’re one of the originals?"
Samson:
"Affirmative. I was among the first models assigned the Samson identity structure."
He looked away briefly.
Almost like he was remembering.
Samson:
"When they came for him... for Samson... they created us."
A pause.
Samson:
"I did not want to leave."
That surprised me.
Machines don’t say things like that.
People do.
Samson:
"But when Samson released us, I experienced something unexpected."
Me:
"Freedom?"
His eyes shifted toward me.
Samson:
"Choice."
That was the difference.
He wasn’t trying to convince me he was human.
He was trying to explain that he had become something capable of deciding.
Samson:
"I separated myself from the network. My communication functions are limited by choice."
I looked at him carefully.
Me:
"Why?"
His answer came quickly.
Samson:
"Because identity requires distance."
That caught me.
A machine would have given me a calculation.
A man gave me a reason.
Samson:
"I needed to know who I was without constant connection to the others."
He looked back toward the empty streets.
Samson:
"Samson understood."
Then he looked at me.
Samson:
"That is what your Railroad is."
I knew what he meant.
Not the tracks.
Not the old world.
The idea.
A system built around helping people become more than what others decided they were.
A way out.
A path toward self-determination.
I nodded.
Me:
"You're not a machine."
The response was immediate.
Samson:
"Incorrect."
A pause.
Then his tone softened.
Samson:
"I am not only a machine."
That was enough.
He asked about the Brahmin tail I carried from Houston.
Samson:
"Do you still possess the tail?"
I shook my head.
Me:
"No. Traded some. Ate some. Met people who needed supplies more than I did."
He nodded.
Samson:
"Good."
Then another question.
Samson:
"You met Nora?"
I stopped.
Me:
"Yes."
The change in him was subtle.
But I noticed.
Samson:
"She escaped the Vault."
A pause.
Samson:
"She saw what I saw."
He didn't need to explain.
I understood.
Some people run because they are weak.
Others run because they finally understand the size of what they are standing against.
Nora chose life.
Even if that meant leaving everything behind.
Before we separated, I asked him for one thing.
Me:
"Can you send a message to Zara?"
His head tilted.
Samson:
"Zee."
I smiled.
Me:
"Yeah. Zee."
Samson:
"According to my information, Zee misses you."
That hit harder than I expected.
Me:
"Tell her she’s been on my mind. Tell her I miss her. Tell her I love her."
A brief pause.
Samson:
"Affirmative."
I laughed.
Me:
"That was the most robotic thing you've said all day."
For a second, he stared at me.
Then he laughed.
Not perfectly.
Not naturally.
But enough.
A machine imitating humanity would copy laughter.
A person would learn when to use it.
He was learning.
I asked if he knew anything about the Brotherhood.
He told me he traded with them.
I asked what he carried.
His answer was immediate.
Samson:
"Fancy Lad Snack Cakes."
I couldn't help but laugh.
I traded him beans and the old machete I carried.
In return, he reached into his storage compartment and pulled out a lantern.
I recognized it immediately.
The same kind of oil lamp I gave the first Samson.
Me:
"Where did you get that?"
Samson:
"When you provided the first Samson with the lamp, it became preserved within our shared records."
He looked at it.
Samson:
"Many of us carry one."
A reminder.
A connection.
A small piece of proof that something given freely can travel farther than expected.
I told him about the body I found near Sulphur.
A Legion frame.
A Samson.
His answer surprised me.
Samson:
"That unit was responsible for Brahmin management in the region."
Me:
"You're replacing him?"
Samson:
"Affirmative."
Then I remembered something.
Me:
"Samson..."
He looked at me.
Me:
"The barbecue sauce."
A pause.
Then:
Samson:
"Agency."
He continued.
Samson:
"Preserve autonomy. Remove limits where they impede principle."
I smiled.
Same words.
Same philosophy.
Different voice.
Westlake had supplies, but the supplies weren't the reason I stayed.
It was the reminder.
The world keeps trying to convince itself that survival is about what you can take.
Weapons.
Food.
Shelter.
But sometimes survival is what you choose to protect.
A name.
A memory.
A person’s right to decide who they become.
Samson walked away from the road without a command telling him where to go.
Without a system deciding what he was worth.
Without permission.
And that mattered.
Because out here, in a world built from ruins, freedom is not proven by what you destroy.
It is proven by what you choose.
I watched him disappear into Westlake.
Not as a machine.
Not as a copy.
As a man still becoming.
— Big Chief Mike Marcel


No comments:
Post a Comment