8/23/2024

Crossing into Baytown

DATE: 8.23.2224
LOCATION: Baytown, Texas
STATUS: Continuing East
SIGNAL: Active
RADIATION: Elevated

The bridge into Baytown groaned under my boots, steel cables rattling like old teeth. Water stretched beneath me, brown and patient, carrying whatever remained of the city toward the Gulf. By the time I reached the off-ramp, the Fred Hartman Bridge was behind me and Baytown was ahead.

The Pip-Boy marked the location.

I marked everything else.

Cracked asphalt. Empty roads. Rusted vehicles. Industrial structures sitting against the horizon. The remains of commerce scattered along the roadside like nobody had ever come back for any of it.

Then I saw the rocket.

Red Rocket.

Once, it probably meant fuel, food, a bathroom, and a few minutes before getting back on the road. Now it stood ahead of me, fire-scorched and half-broken, the red sign still glowing faintly against the darkening sky.

I approached slowly.

The pumps were twisted. Hoses hung from their mounts like dead vines. Broken glass covered the pavement. Papers moved across the forecourt with every passing gust—old newspapers, government notices, pre-War coupons, scraps of correspondence. Some looked as though they had been abandoned in a hurry. Others looked almost deliberately placed.

That caught my attention.

Inside, the shelves sagged under years of dust and neglect. Most of what was useful had already been taken, but not everything. Dent­ed cans. Empty containers. A few things still sealed. I found a bottle of Sunset Sarsaparilla and an old Nuka-Cola cap dispenser that still clicked when I tested it.

The place wasn't dead.

Not completely.

Something had been happening here.

I couldn't tell if the goods were forgotten, left behind, or intentionally kept out of sight. I wasn't going to assume either way.

The silence told me more than the building did.

No voices.

No movement.

No obvious signs of occupation.

But that didn't mean nobody was watching.

The road had already taught me that much.

A ruin isn't just what happened to a place.

It's also what people are doing with it now.

I pocketed a few scraps of paper. Not because I needed them, but because they were information. Names. Dates. Small pieces of ordinary life that had somehow survived longer than the people who wrote them.

For a moment, I forgot where I was.

I wasn't looking at a ruined gas station anymore.

I was looking at what a place like this used to mean.

You were almost home.

Pull in.

Fill the tank.

Grab something cold.

Maybe make a phone call.

Then get back on the road.

That meaning is gone now.

The building doesn't know what it used to be.

Neither does the road.

Only I do.

I stood there for another minute, listening.

I could stay.

I could search deeper.

I could make this place a station for the night.

Or I could keep moving.

For now, I had enough.

Enough water.

Enough food.

Enough information to know I didn't need to force the answer.

I stepped back outside and looked toward the road east.

Every journey has places where you stop.

Every road has places that make you decide whether you're stopping for shelter, stopping to prepare, or stopping because you don't know what comes next.

This place had served that purpose for somebody once.

Maybe it still could.

Just not for me.

Not yet.

I adjusted the Pip-Boy on my wrist, tightened my bag, and stepped back onto the road.

The Vault taught me to survive.

The road is teaching me when to stop.

And when to keep going.

I am still going.

Big Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment