8/07/2024

First Steps Inside the Vault

PIP-BOY — PERSONAL LOG

DATE: 8.7.2224
LOCATION: Vault 288
ENTRY: First Steps Inside the Vault
AUTHOR: Big Chief Mike Marcel


I rise from the medical slab.

The mattress creaks beneath me, bearing weight that hasn't moved under its own power in decades.

The floor is cold steel.

Yellowed lights flicker above, casting long shadows along walls that bend like the inside of a giant silo.

The Vault is larger than I expected.

Endless corridors stacked like storage racks. Levels above and below disappearing into shadow. Every panel hums with life I do not yet trust.

Ventilation vents rattle overhead as if testing my patience.

A terminal blinks in the corner. Its screen is alive with code I no longer remember how to command.

That bothers me. I remember being shipped to the Astrodome. I remember the long transport. The blur of faces. The sound of engines and metal grinding against metal. After that, everything fades.

My mind holds the initial quarantine. The cold of cryogenic stasis. The silence that swallowed decades.

Nothing else survived in memory. The world outside, the streets, the storms, the people, I don't have it.

Not yet.

All I have is this Vault.


The Pip-Boy strapped to my arm glows, menus and schematics moving across the tiny screen.

I run my fingers along its edge.

Familiar shapes beneath my hand.

Buttons worn from someone else's past attempts.

I navigate to the map function.

Vault corridors twist across the display like veins. Lights marking exits flicker dimly.

I trace a path toward the east wing.

Storage.

I need supplies. I need movement. I need to know what mine is still to carry.

I pass the old medical bay. Needles. Trays. Vials lined neatly as if waiting for someone who never returned. A ventilation grate hums above me, scattering cold air that smells faintly of BBQ sauce.

Smoky, Rich.

For a moment, the world feels closer than it is.

I stop.

I don't know why that smell bothers me.

Maybe because memory doesn't always knock before entering.

Sometimes it just walks in.

I push open a larger hatch and step into the central chamber, now I understand the scale of this place. The Vault stretches upward and downward. like a cavern of steel and light.

Catwalks spiral around its walls.

Stairs and platforms disappear into the shadows above.

Ventilation shafts hum like the breath of something enormous.

Pipes run along the walls like veins, carrying life and air to somewhere I do not yet understand.

It is beautiful. Terrifying.  Alive.

I feel small.

But I feel awake.

I move carefully, taking it all in.

The Vault is a silo.

A cage.

A monument.

A lifeline.

Maybe all four.

Every echo, every flicker of light, every shadowed corner reminds me of the same thing:

I am alone, but I am not lost.

I am awake.

I am moving.

I am still reaching.

For now, that's enough.

[ENTRY END]

Big Chief Mike Marcel



No comments:

Post a Comment